• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-inΒ or Sign-UpΒ .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.Β πŸ˜€

• RECEIVE THE GIFTS MEMBERS SHARE WITH YOU HERE...THEN...CREATE SOMETHING TO ENCHANT OTHERS THAT YOU WANT TO SHARE

You know what we all love...

When you enchant people, you fill them with delight and yourself in return. Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  
Bureaucrat

Dolgo Crab In North Central MN

Has anyone in North Central MN tried planting bare root dolgo crab trees?

I'm considering putting a dozen of them in next spring. I am wondering if anyone has them and what they have seen with them over time.

I've found info stating they are solidly rated for growing in most of MN except the little bit of zone 2 around I-falls and Red Lake.

They are rated to be very persistent in that they hold their fruit all the way to spring, making them excellent for any critter that can reach them.

I put in two seedlings this year! We shall see how they do come next spring but I know several others with Dolgo up by Brainerd that love their trees for that late holding ability!

They make great pollinators too. My plan is to plant five pairs of apple trees. Each tree will be paired with a dolgo crab:

Sweet sixteen

Harrelson

Wolf river

Honey crisp

Spartan

That'll give me five different areas with apples. Hopefully that way, critters won't mob the whole lot at once, and will keep them spread out so predators can't make an easy meal out the apple eaters.

Have you thought about the drop times of each of those trees and where you would like to put them for hunting purposes? Might be something to think about!

East Rush, where did you get your seedlings? I am having trouble finding any in the twin cities area.

I those trees because they are mid to late season droppers, and what I could get on bud 118 rootstock. The dolgos will supposedly hang on to their apples into winter. I don't know if that is the wild strain or the grafted strain, but I guess we'll see.

I purchased them online from burnt ridge nursery! That sounds like a good plan, good choice on the rootstock! That's why I purchased my dolgo's

I'm getting mine from Burnt Ridge too. Have your dolgos started yielding yet? I'm curious on size and how long they hang on.

I actually went with seedlings from them with my dolgo's as to save a little money as I had already had 5 grafted trees in my order and didn't want to spend any more money!