• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

WIA, How It Works

BobT

I was looking at the DNR site and ran across the WIA pages. I don't completely understand how that program works. Can anyone shed some light?

Who is eligible to enroll land?

Is there monetary compensation for enrolling land?

What are the basic rules with enrolled land?

I also see hunters now will have to purchase a permit to use the WIA lands.

Any insight on this?

Thanks,

Enrollment is limited to 35 counties. Hunting is allowed during legal seasons between Sept. 1st and May 31st. The parcel must be at least 40 acres or contiguous with a public hunting area (WMA or WPA). Priority is given to lands enrolled in a conservation program (RIM, CRP). The enrolled parcel must be accessible from a public road. Landowners are paid a base rate of $10/acre.

Bob - the parcels that are enrolled are open to public hunting during legal seasons from Sept. 1st to May 31st. There is an article in the latest Outdoor News and they are not getting the acres they had hoped for.

Quote:
Walk-In Access (WIA) Program

...providing public hunting opportunities on private lands thanks to volunteer landowners.

New for 2013: Hunters must purchase a WIA Validation to legally hunt WIA Sites this fall.

It is a nominal $3, a portion of which covers the license transaction with the remainder to be used for a hunter evaluation next year. The validation will also give DNR and policymakers a way to track the number of hunters whom hunt Walk-In Access sites. Landowners cannot give others permission to hunt without a validation.

I guess that the answer to the question about the need for permission doesn't seem to be answered, at least that I can see. I know that in Nebraska and Kansas you can use them without any permission as if it were a WMA. If MN requires permission I wonder first how someone is supposed to know who to contact, and also whether the owner would really be interested in all the contacts. The idea that the landowner is supposed to restrict permission to those with the permit also seems like a bit of a pain to me. Seems complicated, but maybe I just don't understand it.

Well I found the answer - http://files.dnr.state.mn.us/destinations/wias/wia_codeofconduct.pdf

Walk In Access Code of Conduct

Walk In Access sites are only open to hunting. Other activities such as

trapping, target shooting, camping, horseback riding, fishing, dog

training, etc. are prohibited. The ongoing success of this program

depends on ensuring landowners’ continued interest. Please follow this Code of Conduct while hunting these privately owned lands:

5)Do not contact landowners of WIA parcels asking for permission to

hunt.

WE have 5 WIAs within 5 miles of our new place in Kandiyohi county,If they are marked with the yellow WIA sign,Its park and walk in.I walked all of them last year.Didnt need a permit that I knew of?? Of those 5 4 are ajoined to WPA/ and the other state lands I cant remember the initials??Wildlife area?? the 1 not ajacent to any state/Fed public lands is 200 acres

WE have 5 WIAs within 5 miles of our new place in Kandiyohi county,If they are marked with the yellow WIA sign,Its park and walk in.I walked all of them last year.Didnt need a permit that I knew of?? Of those 5 4 are ajoined to WPA/ and the other state lands I cant remember the initials??Wildlife area?? the 1 not ajacent to any state/Fed public lands is 200 acres

Notice the quote I posted from the DNR HSOforum. Especially this part, "New for 2013:"