• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Every time I go hunting, there are people that cant tell time. It doesn't matter if it is ducks or deer they are always shooting before legal shooting time. On opener there were people shooting at 8:40.

------------------
Hunt&Fish tell you drop!
I.B.O.T's 250 & 249

It amazes me how early or late people start shooting at ducks at Carlos Avery. Its also funny because most are caught, there are 2 Co's that drive around the area we hunt and hand out ticket after ticket to these *****s, Its so widespread that the Co after shooting hours last year would just take the guys drivers liscenses and then drive away to catch more people, then come back later to ticket the other hunters.

I was out on Wednesday, 10-6-04, morning on a piece of public land. There were 3-4 four guys set up behind us about 150-200 yards on another slough. Mind you shooting time was 0701 these *****s start opening up at 0644, I checked my watch!!! Then they also must have had a very non disciplined dog becasue it was like every 5-10 minutes he was calling for his dog. It wasn't bad for about the first hour or so but after that it got kind of sickening. If it doesn't listen that well put a leash on it until it has to make a retrive. Then we couldn't figure out why these mallards kept coming towards our spread and then make a 90 degree turn a make a straight bead line for theirs. We found out when we left that they were using a spinning sing decoy. Now it was my understanding that you couldn't use those on public water until the 10th right?? That's why I haven't brought mine out yet. Then to make matters worse we called them in after we left to the local CO and found out that the state, in all of it's infinate wisedom, had decided to send our one and only CO in the area down to Florida for a week to do a study on alligators???? Right in the middle of waterfowl season?? Go figure. Anyway I'm done complaining now.

6:48 was legal shooting time on Wednesday 10/6, 6:44 is pretty close.

Spining wing decoys are legal now and have been since the opener, you just can't use a motorized decoy.

[This message has been edited by Ole #1 (edited 10-09-2004).]

In that area you have to add 12 minutes to the synopsis guide so shooting time here was 0701 I am very particular about that and it was a motorized spinning wing decoy because there was almost no wind that day and the little wind there was any was not over 5 mph and those wings were moving way to fast for it to be a wind operated decoy.

Last Saturday we too had a group down from us using a robo-duck. We were wondering why they were sucking all the birds in and when we drove by on our way out the lake, we found out why. The one time I diddnt bring my cell phone......

Yeah we heard one shot Sunday morning at 6:32 am while we were finishing up putting our decoys out.

Sure was slow for us. Not to mention that the few birds that were flying acted very decoy shy andeither skirted the decoys or land sort. They all landed out in the middle even staying away from live birds already on the water.

Oh well this next front should move some fresh birds down.

Borch

JP,
Sometimes they work, sometimes they scare them away. If you are hunting new birds, fresh from Canada, they do everything they are talked up to be. If the birds have been pressured, good luck.

It just all depends.

you could not use battery powered spinner wing decoys until october 10th. there are other kinds of spinner wing decoys that are attached to a cable that attach to the duck and on the other end is a fishing reel you turn to make the wings spin. those are legal from the start of opener. To my understanding the only way you can use spinner wing decoys before opener are on private land.

This has torn at me for awhile. I shot early once this year. Two weeks ago I am not proud of it and regret doing so. I shot 3 minutes early and was unaware that my watch was wrong. Two hunters started swearing at me and calling me names. They than procedded to shoot at us. I apologize for shooting early. Now if those could step forward and pay for the vet bill that I got from having to remove BB's from my dog.

[This message has been edited by simcox282 (edited 10-13-2004).]

That is horrible to shoot someones dog. That is about as low as I have ever heard. I hope that they get what is coming to them.
A question that has to be raised is how could they shoot your dog? If they were there first and setup how close did you setup from them? My general rule is about 100 yards away from someone. If they did shoot my dog I would have confronted them right away.
What a sad situation.

when we arrived we say them in the back of the bay. so we set up where we normally do as this wuld have been more than a hundred yards. When they started shooting we saw they were directly across from us. Once they started to shoot we picked up our stuff and moved. It was than when we were moving they shot and hit my dog.

3 minutes? what a bunch of d-bags. Who died and made them in charge of the lake...I don't care how mad you get, you don't bust shots at someone, let alone an innocent dog.
If I were you I would have confronted these morons at the landing after the hunt and fisted up with them if it came to that. People like that should not be hunting / around guns.

Sartell Angler aka Woodduckwizard

ps- hope your dog didn't go through too much pain.

1) I always carry my cell phone, give me a reason not to?

2) Someone shoots at me, I call the local heet on them.

3) Someone shoots at me and hits us / my dog and there are injuries, I get to a safe distance and dial 911 for police & ambulance/vet.

THAT IS B/S WHAT THEY DID.

I've been EXTREMELY peeved off at other people during confrontations while hunting, but I never thought of threatening with my firearm or try to remove theirs from them. Call the cops, it brings things to civility right quick.

PJ