• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

I don't know about bills cuz I've never done it. Early season, like now, I mix in a couple of teal, and off to the side of the spread I put in 3 or 4 woody decoys.

I think the combo works well. I know there are duck hunters out there that don't shoot at teal. That's their choice. Personally, I like em and I think the mixture brings in different species of ducks.

I do not mix divers with my puddle duck spread, but I do hunt over 2 groups of decoys at once. If hunting on a point or maybe at the end of an island, I will have the mallards set up in closer to shore on the side, where it is calmer. Then I will leave a nice little landing area in between them and a group of bluebill decoys further out into the chop. Try to get a little line of 'bills going out from the main group downwind, and hopefully they will follow this line up to the main group. This practice usually works quite well.

S.A. aka woodduckwizard from the MN Refuge Gang

I've mixed them before. I put the bill dekes out in a J shaped string, with the hook in by the blind & then put the mallards in around the blind. That seemed to work fine. The bills were still coming right down the line to the guns.

Normally there aren't bills around where I hunt this time of year, so I put out a mixture of mallards, a few teal, & some woodies to one side, with a few geese off the other side.

I always have a string of bills on the windy edge of my spread by using a jv rig I have the mallards on the v side and the bills on the j and I also put out half dozen goose decoys also. I have had good luck with that and rarely ever have to change my set up use it all year long I just add decoys as the season goes on. at the end of the season usually have 3 doz bills and 5 doz mally's also I have some bills on a mother lane that is about 30 yards long this thing is dinamite later in the year. I use a short one for mallards later to. it makes it seem like there tryin' to get to were the other ducks are in my spread.

hope the season doesn't fall of the next cuople weekends doin' real good and don't want to loose my rythym looking down the barrel GOOD LUCK