• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

cabelas fisherman series?

dan z

So I was out trolling today and I put on a jointed fisherman series crant and it spiralled out. I tried slowing down and it didn't seam to help. So I went back to raps. Anyone else see this happen?

Just the opposite for me. I find the Cabelas cranks usually run straighter than any Reef Runners I have and usually they run straight out of the box. Except for an occasional Reef Runner that I may buy because of the color, I usually buy the knockoff Cabela's cranks instead of Reef Runners Deep Little Rippers. I just wish the colors were better.

I'm not that crazy about the fact that Cabela's strong armed Reef Runner on the patent issue, but business is business.

I read a lengthy article on this in some periodical last winter I think it was.

Reef Runner holds a patent on the designs of their crankbaits. On the Deep Little Rippers for example, Cabela's has copied them almost to exact specs and markets them under the Cabels's brand name, Walleye Runners. Look at them side by side and there is little doubt that the Cabelas brand is a copy of Reef Runner's crankbait. Reef Runner, as a company, doesn't have enough money to fight Cabelas legally and Cabela's knows it. Therefore, they continue to sell the copies of the Deep Little Rippers without any legal ramifications. There is another manufacturer doing the same thing. Cotton Cordell,owned by parent company EBSCO, Industries Inc. also manufactures Wally Stingers, another copy of Reef Runner Deep Little Rippers. It just costs too much for Reef Runner to sue these larger companies.

Is it good business for these companies to do this? I don't know.

Have you ever seen Reef Runner advertisements mentioning they're the original but there are thousands of imitations? That's what they're referring to.