• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Sitka early Junly

Im heading up to Sitka for my first Alaska fishing trip,,,Any must see,,, must stop and eat places I should know about ,,,Im only fishing 3 10 hour days but Im pumped to see the scenery and the fish I dont see up here on Lake Superior ,,,,Or any advice that might come in handy

You will find no five star dining places in Sitka. Nor four star or three stay either. But you will see some fantastic country and enjoy plenty of fresh seafood. Sitka has an very interesting history, as you will learn while you are there. Be sure to visit the historic sites. If you have to time charter a float plane and go see the country for an hour; you'll be able to see a lot of country along the outer coast.

There is marvelous fishing of course.

First time I was there was in 1958. You landed on the water-there was no airport. Later, I landed in dirt while they were building the airport! Ha Ha! It's not the wonderful place it was, but you will have fun.

The trip to Sitka was a success as far as fishing goes ,,,The scenery wasn't all that good due to low clouds and rain ,,,Lots of rain ,,,Got our limit of kings, silvers and rock fish,,, the seas were too rough for fishing halibut ,,Hard to hold an anchor in 7 to 12 foot seas ,,,For just 3 days of fishing 4 of us split 397 Lbs of fish,,, So life is good as long as I keep finding/trying new recipes (had rock fish poppers tonite)

I will be going back in 2 years around the same time period and hopefully stay at the same lodge ,,,Nice small lodge,,, where they know you by your first name ,,,serve fabulous food and do a great job of packaging the fish

Hey Loonasea, couple questions for you;

what was the name of the lodge? I'm always looking for new places...:) Were you fully guided each day? How big were the kings running?

And how do you like the rockfish? I kept a couple this year but haven't tried them yet...

I love the rockfish. A thin coat of mayo and then sprinkled with Old Bay Spice and pop it on the grill. MMMnnnnnnn. The rockfish do not have the freezer life of halibut though so you want to pound out the rockfish in a couple of months at most.

Traveler ,,We stayed at a lodge called "Sitka Point Lodge" Fully guided 10 hour days of fishing ,,,and the rock fish I cube, coat and pop in the deep fryer (I have to fight my wife for the last few peices) ,,I haven't tried the yellow eye rock yet ,,,The kings ran 18 to 31 Lbs the Silvers ran 12 to 21 Lbs