• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Stealing game?

Has anyone ever had a problem with someone trying to take there game before? We had a problem yesterday morning. While hunting(there were 3 of us)we called in a pair of geese. We had them infront of us and then they rolled for some reason. They were about 35 yards out and I drilled the fist one with my first shot. The other guy in my boat hit the other one with the first shot. I hit it with my second and third shot and my buddy hit it again with his third shot. We knew it was hit and hit hard. We watched it and it went down about 150-175 yards behind us. We were hunting a island of weeds and I could see it laying out there. I was toast. Our other buddy wanted to take is new pup lab over to get it so he was working on getting out of his blind when I heard this motor start up and it was along ways away. As our guy is push pulling out and around the island(could not run the motor to much coons tail in the water!) these kids come up from the south east and are going to pick this goose us. Now it has only been about 2 min since we shot it. They saw my buddy going to get the goose and it almost turned into a race to see who could get first. I was watching from the blind and was really upset. Finally the kids stopped and my buddy's dog was sent to the goose but it was to big for him and my buddy went over to get the goose from the dog and get the dog. The kids then turned around and drove back to the south west.
I am just wondering if this has ever happend to anyone else? The funny part is the geese came in from the north east and never went over these guys or were even close to going over these guys to make them think that it might be theres!

Sorry about venting so much I was just really upset. By the way. Never made it out early season goose hunting and rarely ever shoot geese on opener but we only got 7 ducks for 3 of us on opening weekend but we did get our limit of geese each day. The bonus was the first shot by my buddy with his new gun and new pup he got a bwt and his pup made the retreve and it was banded! We also got a young drake mallard and he was banded in South Carolina. I also got my first banded goose yesterday. Banded in 97.

Froggy

Maybe they thought you did not see it go down and they were only going to pick it up and bring it to you.

I wouldnt assume that they were trying to steal unless they put it in their boat and drove away.

Good luck with the rest of the season.

Tom,

Normally I would agree with you but then did not even care that my buddy was coming out to get it. They saw him coming right after he got around the island but they did not stop coming till he sent his dog out. I just was very upset. Just my thoughts.

Hope you have a great season!

Froggy

On time we shot down a couple geese, the guy down from us also got one as they passed by. It was a pretty windy day and the one he got started floating across the lake we where on. After a while, the guy got out and said that he better get it before it gets across the lake. About 45 mins later he comes back and tells us a couple of younger kids got out and grabbed it right in front of him... Well, he said he did not want to get into an argument, being that they were both armed, so he did not say anything... I guess, my thought is, why would you want to eat a dead bird that you do not know how long its been down?

JegerJack

------------------
"What did the old man trade for these guys, a used puck bag?"