• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

need to learn how to call geese and duck

What kind of calls do you have? Flute or Short reed goose? Makes a difference.I would suggest getting a video or 2 on calling as you need to hear what you are suppose to sound like and need the mechanics broken down. Even though I'm far from great on a short reed goose call I can give ya some things to try if that is what you have. Wgere are you located?

There are a couple DVD's and videos that have really helped me. The must have video for short reed goose calling is Shawn Stahl's Honker Talk. It is only available on VHS, but it is the best out there. The two CD's I like the best are Dave Smith's Breakthough II for short reed geese, and Keith Allen's the Refuge Man Fundamentals of Duck Calling. If you are interested in them and don't know where to find them I can let you know where I bought mine from.

it's my personal opinion that ducks in minnesota can become very hard to call in, because of all the hunters in the state. i'm not saying its impossible, but it is harder when the ducks have been constantly called at since the beginning of the season.

a few years back i went duck hunting in north dakota, talk about birds responding to calling, wow! there just not as educated over there.

I agree with B.Amish, ducks in MN don't seem to respond to calling very well(although I haven't hunted anywhere else), subtle calling has worked the best for me or not calling at all.

They can decoy well however(mallards), you just got to hunt where the birds are, have the right decoy setup, and hide well. Not all of the birds you see will come in, but some will if you have everything right.

------------------
cut that sucka'

I have called many ducks into the decoys and I strongly belive in it.

I bought a duck call about 4 years ago that came with an audio tape. It demonstarted a few basic calls that are very easy to do. I use a feeder call as well and that works good too. It's a duck call with a rubber tube hanging on it, all you do is shake it.

I won't call at them unless they are flying away from me. I usually wait to see if they are heading my way first, if not than call away.

Wood duck calls are easy to use too.

Ole