• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Metro walleyes

Hey guys,

Looking for a couple decent metro walleye lakes. You don't have to give up your best but I want to catch a few. I mainly fish muskies but my father in law has got me into these guys. (Cant musky fish yet anyway) Been pretty decent so far but we've been fishing Mille Lacs. Where should I go? I live in Bloomington so Waconia or Minnetonka isn't a bad drive at all. Are these my best options? Also thinking Bryant, Lotus or Orchard. Any of these worth my time? I really appreciate the replies

Waconia and Minnetonka a re both good bets and the best part is that as the season progresses you can fish for Ski's if the walleyes are finicky. Don't forget some of the local rivers as well. These are often some of the best eye fishing around on a consistent basis.

Tunrevir~

I wouldn't waste my time on Lotus or Bryant with Minnetonka right down the road. I'm not 100% sure there is a very large population of walleyes in Bryant, although I know the ski's are in there...Lotus is the same, but no muskies. Plus that lake is so narrow, there are a few locals that like to "buzz" your boat while wake boarding/skiing.

Waconia is a fun lake, it has some good structure/reefs but Minnetonka is always at the top of my list for West metro walleyes. I live in Bloomington as well and will hit MTKA quite often in the spring/fall and you always have a chance at a trophy out there.

Independence is another one on the West end that you'll find walleyes in. But like mentioned above, the rivers are always a good bet.

Once I get my boat back from the shop, I'll be fishing White Bear, Bald Eagle, Forest, and some of the Chisago Area lakes quit heavily.. I know there are some big fish in both Bald Eagle and White Bear, just have to be able to locate them. That will be my goal this summer, as I have not fished the metro for walleyes in quite some time.

if you are looking for eaters, the mississippi river from the ford dam to hastings is not a good place. 100% catch and release year round there.

if you are looking for good walleye fishing and nothing for the frying pan... that's a different story.

Pool 2 is a walleye factory, but as mentioned above catch and release only. You can fish for walters 365 days though. It's not far and you have 3 ramps to choose from. Ford Dam, Lilydale, and 494.

If you want to catch walters go to the river, if you want to eat walters head to Tonka or Waconia. Good luck!