• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Whatever happened to......?

I still don't understand the youth hunt. Why do we have to have a seperate season for kids to be taken hunting when what they really want is to be a part of the group that goes out on the opener. I would have been devistated if my father told me I could go out one weekend with just him but not the next with all my other realitives. Isn't hunting often seen a a rite of passage? Maybe we should have seperate openers for youth rifle-hunt for deer, or walley opener.

Mister Twister..agreed, never have like this "special season" thing..heard all the arguments,etc 'it's for the children" blah blah. Bottom line is when these people become adults their all going to think they need special this and special that..hate to tell them that thats just not happening. In this country were all suppose to be equal and some people out there just can't stand it. I know when I was a kid I was soo excited to go up north duck opener with my dad, bros and friends I could hardly sleep and that in itself was part of the experience, working hard carrying dekes, moving boats building blinds, helping jump sloughs oh yeah and LEARNING HOW TO DEAL WITH OTHER PEOPLE. Personally hope they get rid of it. sorry for the rant, stuck in the cibe at work.

I understand the youth hunts, and think they are a great idea. The difference is that they are generaly done for management purposes and have little impact on other peoples hunting. I have two kids of my own and can't wait to get them in the field. However, unless there is a better reason than "for the kids" I think we are just cheating them the true experiance, and cheating those around us. With that said, I still hope that everyone who gets out with there kids have a good time. Maybe I'll be enlightened someday.

I would think that the adluts would be able to have 100% attention to the kids. At least that is what I am going to do when I get mine out. I can whatch them shoot, and adjust them. Make them call that day for practice. Stuff like that, and I dont have to worry about the other adluts across the way yelling at his bad calling or missing ducks.

The adults can give their kids 100% attention on opener too and who cares about the other guy across the way that thinks he needs to complain if the kid does mess up somehow.. the youth season is a joke.. its a good way for a dad to take his kids out for the "designated weekend" then forget about them the rest of the season

theres also waay too many people that do not read or understand the laws and break them.. it says in the regulation book that the youth hunter must be accompanied by a NON HUNTING adult.. some people cant figure that out..

Its kinda startling on here how many people dont have a clue about alot of the regs.. its good that people are asking and trying to figure it out but really...They print em for a reason, the best way to figure out actual laws instead of taking different advice from 14 different people is to READ THE REGS!!!!!!

What's the big deal? I took my son out this morning for his first waterfowl hunt. Like some other posters said, I was able to concentrate on helping him with his hunting skills only. It was a great time and he learned a few things that I might have missed had I been hunting too.

How about a day dedicated to construction workers? wink.gif We don't get much time to get out with others either. frown.gif

------------------
IBOT's # 17 & 248

[This message has been edited by Bryce (edited 09-18-2004).]

Waterfowl hunting got too expensive for me.So a youth waterfowl day is a great way to let my boys experince how fun duck hunting really is. Just one day only.
I have a question.
Can i still take my boys duck hunting if I don't hunt? Just let them. They are fifteen and thirteen.They both have firearms certificate

My son and I had a fantastic morning Saturday.
He got nothing, took a few shots, and he talked about it all afternoon.
He's looking forward to this coming weekend as well.

For some reason, I just don't think the youth waterfowl day is going to spoil the rest of his life. wink.gif
Its adding to his already long list of memories.
Take a kid out while the Youth day is available. You won't regret it. You will cherish it.
If youth day goes away, oh well. We won't lose sleep over it.

Dan, as far as I know there's no reason you can't take them during regular season & you don't need a license if you're not carrying a gun or help shoot birds. As far as I know the only hunting that have accompanyment laws are deer hunting & turkey hunting.

Well i do both read the regs and understand, and if there is something i dont understand i call the local warden since hes gonna be the one that nails me in the field anyway and ask him if theres ever a shadow of a doubt.

As for the youth season i'd like to throw a guess out there that there are enough people that dont know enough about the laws that at least 1/3 of the adults participating in it this year were in violation of the regs, there arent enough game wardens to regulate everyone, maybe the older people that are bringing out kids are doing it right but i know for a fact that there are alot of 18-19-20 year old guys finding kids to bring out so they can shoot ducks a week early completely thinking its legal...also people that bring a gun "im just shooting geese" thinking they can get away with that too...
Its just kind of a messed up deal.. its too hard to enforce.

[This message has been edited by Nitebiter (edited 09-20-2004).]

If you don't like it - then you just don't get it!

Sad fact of the matter is many Minnesota waterfowlers crowd others, skybust, post 50 yards from another party's spread, etc...

The MN youth season is ONE DAY where kids can concentrate on learning about waterfowl hunting without the circus. The bad behavior can be explained the next weekend when the kids return to hunt again for the traditional opener.

I am three years away and hope it stays.

[This message has been edited by Dennis Steele (edited 09-20-2004).]

Brittman,

Settle down. No need for that type of language. I've met some very fine folks on public land. Most are very respectful. But there always a few that leave a bad taste in your mouth. Some, a very bad taste.

Nitebite,

Things have definitely got more confusing with the early goose changes. Especially with the ability to hunt them over water. There used to be no way a person could even think of justify having a gun with them. If by older you mean as being in their late 30s or early 40s then my friends and myself fit the bill. But in my eyes we're still youngsters grin.gif

When I have a question I email the DNR to get an answer. I usually get a response within a few hours. I'd hate it if our wardens got tied up by everyone and their neighbor calling them and asking regulation questions. They don't get enough field coverage as it is with the huge territories they have to cover.

Borch

[This message has been edited by Borch (edited 09-20-2004).]

Wish I had the chance to do it again, what a blast my son and I had. My b-in-l and I would call, he'd shoot, we'd follow up with "NOOOOOO, that's a cormorant!!!" or "Next time, don't shoot the duck if it's behind the decoy." or "See, holding the gun an inch away from your shoulder DOESN'T help the recoil." I'm ALL for the youth hunt but you're right about the folks that don't read the regs or use it as an excuse to break the law. We shouldn't penalize the kids or good parents though, just nail the dirtbags when we can!!

This is a little off topic but I thought I would give my 2 cents. Public land is.....well its public. Take a look at your local town and examine "the public". We have all sorts of people. Some hug trees, some fit in the middle, and some are by the book with no exception. Now when our hunters (general public) enter the public hunting grounds, we should expect a general slice of America to be present. That means we have a certain percentage of all the ones I listed above. If you can't deal with our public in general or are too high strung to accept that public means public, I would suggest you stay home or buy some land. Otherwise we will someday be rushing you to the hospital for some heart work or baling you out of jail becuase you did something stupid. We all have to accept that public hunting will never go as well as we planned all the time. It is just a fact of life and something that goes with public hunting grounds. I am not saying you have to like it but getting all bent out of shape does nothing but take away from your own experience. So Joe Blow sky busted at a few geese....does that mean the sunset is not as beautiful as it was prior to him sky busting? Its all about perspective. If we don't put things in perspective, life will NOT be a bowl of cherries! Just my opinion!

Exactly - the ones you meet are nice since they are relaxed and you meet them in a parking lot or along side the road.

The ones that are slobs you rarely meet. They sneak off as fast as they appeared. They are running away from embarassment or fear of prosecution.

Youth day works to focus on the positives of waterfowl hunting not the negatives.

I havent met anyone nice on any public land ever.. Although i have had people show up and tell me to "leave their spot" (duck hunting) or to stay out of their spots for pheasant and duck on public land..
You ever been completely set up and have someone come up and tell you to get the hell outta their spot right now?? "we hunted here yesterday" Alot of people seem real nice but when you start encroaching on "their" spot they start to get nasty.. I actually have an uncle that i dont talk to during hunting season because he turns into a totally different person...

Nitebiter,

I think your making some major assumptions there and painting a pretty dark picture of those folks who take kids out on this day. Everyone I know who takes advantage of the youth season with their kids also take them later in the season. But they also frequently take along one of their kids friends who likely wouldn't get a chance to go. Again my experience. Yours may very well differ.

Certainly there are folks who don't read the regs. This is true any day of the year for any species pursued(Fishing, waterfowl hunting, deer, turkey , etc.). This is not confined to any particular day. But there are also folks who read the regs and feel they are above them. Plus there are folks who interpret the regs differently that they were intended. In fact many COs will interpret the regs differntly.

At any rate I can't wait to get out Saturday with my son as we were replacing the roof on my parents home on youth day so we didn't get out.

Borch

This deal on public land suprises me. I hunt public land in the southern part of the state maybe 15 -20 days per year, almost all on weekends and have never had a bad experience yet. I've yet to meet a slob hunter.... guess I'm lucky grin.gif

PS. As for the youth hunt, I'm all for it. I think it's VERY selfish for those opposed. My God, can't some people put kids first for once???

[This message has been edited by MNice (edited 09-21-2004).]

nitebiter,
I havr the samr thing happen to me all the time on middle lake. I'll be in my spot and people will just come roaring in. One time I had a guy come in and park right next to me cuz he thought I was one of his buddies.
And later in the year people still do it. They always come in and ask when you gonna be limited out? You can be pickin' up your dekes and they'll be put theirs in before mine are even up. mad.gif

NITEBITER & SET THE DRAG,

I'm sorry we have never had a chance to meet.All I ever hunt is public land and I'm a heck of a nice guy,just ask me I'll tell ya smile.gif

Really thou guy's.I know some i d i o t s do exist,but not all.I have had people shoot at me,steal my birds and tag a buck I shot.Is it really worth the fighting and the bickering ?If your going to hunt in MN you have to expect to run into some jerks.But how many people have you met on here that are pretty nice.Lets just remember this year in the field,you might be talkin to a fellow F'MER who just had a really bad hunt and does not feel like talkin to you right now.

------------------
Greg

hey NiteBiter....I agree that there are a lot of 18-19-20 year olds out there who don't know the regulations, but don't stick us all in the same boat. My bro and I are both in this age group and not to be arrogant or anything, but each of us could go head to head with pretty much anyone who hunts ducks and geese (aside from guys who do it for a living, ie. Tim Grounds, Barnie Calef, Buck Gardner, etc.) I can identify any duck specie and know all of the regulations. My bro and I also have something that a lot of hunters don't have these days- ethics. We don't skybust, we don't set up too close to other hunters, we don't trespass, we don't cripple birds and just let them swim away, we try not to shoot hens, etc.

I believe that this behavior can be attributed to good influences...our grandpa and uncle's taught us what is right. A lot of our friends took up hunting within the last few years, and it was up to us to pass on these ethics to them. Over the past several seasons we have averaged about 30 days of hunting per season (not counting the early / late goose seasons) so we spend quite a bit of time in the field.

Can't wait til saturday morning...should be a good time...now i need to quit thinking about hunting or i'm going to go insane sitting in class tonight!

s.a.