• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Leaving decoys out?

As I understand it, leaving decoys out overnight is a no-no on public or state-owned land. But what about private land? I may hunt a small pond on my grandfather's farm this fall where I've seen ducks before. If it's okay, I'd rather just leave my blocks out there instead of bringing them in every morning. Any reason not to? Do the quackers learn that they are fake?

Thanks

Tom

Leave them out, it works fine. Don't leave them out until two days before deer hunting & have to chop them out of an inch of ice. I've "heard" that's not much fun. What really peeved me, was then the day before it warmed up & all melted, if I'd have waited a day it would have taken a quarter of the time.

I've had muskrats chew off the plastic decoy cord, the regular stuff they don't bother.

Royalwolf,

I would not leave them out overnight. Just toss them on shore and throw them out in the morning.

If you get to your blind late in the morning and the birds are already flying blast what you can and toss between reloads. The movement on the water will attract the flying birds too.