• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Im thinking off adding some natural vegitation to the blind on my boat this year. anyone out there have any expoerence with this?? I was thinking of some kind of mats i could roll out made from cattails/reeds...any info would be appreciated

I just bought a bunch of Avery's Cattail Grass stuff. Not exactly sure what its called but they are woven into mats about 5-6' wide. Might not be the cheapest way to go but the stuff looks awesome! The duck boat is going to look like a floating bog of cattails this fall.

Up until last year I made my own blinds out of what they call Broom Grass. You can find it in a lot of places, especially in the southern part of the state. I'd wrap it in 1 1/2 inch bundles and then attatch it to chicken wire. You can roll em up and they form a nice little portable blind. If you search the archives I detailed how I made this and where to find it and how I mounted it to the boat.

Last year I went with the Flambeau Grass Mats and built a steel frame around my boat, attached 1/4 plywood and hinged doors and then covered it with the mats, leaving a 2 foot gap down the middle to shoot from. This year I'm putting on a spring-loaded roof that will flip back when it's party-time...lol.

Tom's idea of attaching broom grass or other vegetation to chicken wire sounds good, but I tried something different. I tied bundles of it to a long strip of burlap. It rolls up better than chiken wire. I stick green plastic garden stakes in the mud around the boat and hang the burlap on them. You'll want to dry the burlap after using or it will start to smell and the wife will try to throw it away.