• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Full Choke and Steel Shot

I have been invited to duck hunt(my first time) and only have 1 shotgun(Winchester Model 50 2 3/4 Semi-Auto with a full choke).

I was wondering if I could shoot steel shot through this? Could I damage the barrel? Would the pattern be too tight?

I have a buddy that can borrow me a good duck gun, but am very comfortable shooting my own.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Muskieguy...........

Why wouldnt you be able to shoot steel? I guess I'm not familiar with the Model 50. I guess if you can get your hands on something else with a different choke, I'd go with that. Otherwise, you better practice with a lot of clays before the opener. But on the other hand you could be dropping those birds that are borderline too far away that your buddies wont shoot at.

I would consult with a gunsmith or take it to one of the big hunting stores and talk to them about it. There are many older guns that should not have steel shot through a full choke. I am not a gunsmith and could be wrong on this but I say better safe than sorry. You might also want to pick up a used gun or a cheap new one. You can get a decent gun for under $200. Good luck!

Winchester Modle 50 will handle steel shot.
My dad, uncle and cousin all shoot one for duck hunting.

As for the full choke, it works well. all you can shoot out of that gun is 2-3/4" shells, I'd go with #2's or BB's.

I work at a gun shop and we always tell people not to shoot steel through a full choke. The opening can be too small and steel doesn't compress at all like lead ecspecially if you are using T, BB, or BBB. I would call around and see if you can find a store that has a modified choke for your Winchester. I will check at work and see if we have any.

Thanks all for the replies...the gun is older(1950's) but in fantastic shape. I wouldn't want to risk damaging it, so I am just going to borrow my buddies gun and hit the gun range for some extra practice with it before the season starts.

Thanks again.

Muskieguy...

I think that's a good choice. First of all because of the choke. Second of all because of the age of the barrel. It's not a barrel that is approved for use of steel shot. Damage would very likely have occurred.

Borch

Good choice to leave it at home. "Back in the day" I shot a 50 with a 30" Full on ducks.

First box of steel bulged the barrel right behind the choke. Granted that was first generation steel.

OTOH you could probably get by using Bismuth, it is soft like lead and should be fine in your 50. It depends whether you want to pay the premium for the Bismuth.