• RECEIVE THE GIFTS MEMBERS SHARE WITH YOU HERE...THEN...CREATE SOMETHING TO ENCHANT OTHERS THAT YOU WANT TO SHARE

You know what we all love...

When you enchant people, you fill them with delight and yourself in return. Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  
alski

trolling speed.

Any ideas on how to slow down an IO for trolling crank baits? A kicker motor is not an option due to the swim platform being in the way.

You could throw a drift sock off of the front cleat on each side. The socks would ride next to the boat about 1/2 way up and not be in your way.

Drift socks are an easy and very economical way to slow your boat down but they do have a negative effect on boat handling. Swapping out to a lower pitch prop would be the best way to slow the boat down although it would be the most expensive.

Any one try one of these trolling plates? And how much would it slow down? The slowest i can get is 3mph right now.

I've always wondered if a drift sock on a ski bridle behind the boat would work. Has anyone ever tried this?

I have a trolling plate on a 50hp Merc 4 stroke and I can get down to .3mph. I had to drill 3 2 inch holes in the plate across the middle as it almost stalled me out.

I hardly ever use my trolling motor anymore as I can slow down very nice with the plate.

I've always wondered if a drift sock on a ski bridle behind the boat would work. Has anyone ever tried this?

Clip it to your bow eye on a short rope and pull it under the boat instead. You don't want it to be able to get to the propeller, and you don't want it to get in the way of your fishing lines and/or your fish.

The drift socks that have an adjustable opening work quite well, but there is some rigging to get accustomed to, and you don't want to "stop" the boat when trolling if you don't have to, and the driving position is a full time job when trolling, so the driver won't be catching fish. But you can dial your speed in perfect.

I think I would prefer two smaller socks on the front/side cleats instead of one under the boat, which is what I have used the most. Just driving/steering is a b1ch with the one under the boat, IMO. I have also heard that people use 5 gallon buckets of the sides, with some holes drilled in them, but I have not tried that.

I have a trolling plate on a 50hp Merc 4 stroke and I can get down to .3mph. I had to drill 3 2 inch holes in the plate across the middle as it almost stalled me out.

I hardly ever use my trolling motor anymore as I can slow down very nice with the plate.

I'm gonna have to look further into the trolling plate. I've heard lots of pluses and few negatives abaout them

Had one years ago on a inboard. the one I had was down all the time. It did not have the option to lift up. DO NOT get one like that. I t makes it almost impossible to back up with. 2c