• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

If you were me.....

I am planning on hunting some property owned by my landlord this weekend which has a pond and a wheat field right next to it (he owns both). last year was the first year I've hunted strictly for geese (I've always just shot at them from the duck blind), so I'm not sure of their behavior. I am only planning on hunting Sat. morning and then not again untill maybee monday. Is it a lost cause to set up in the field on Sat. morning? I've been scouting this place for a few weeks and have seen lots of geese in the pond but as far as I've seen they dont use the field. I just dont know if geese that have been using the pond for weeks will either come into our decoys on the way back to the pond from feeding in the morning, or will they just go and land in the pond since they dont even use this field? The landowner frowns on hunting water early season, but we can still hunt the water if we want, which I know will produce, but I would also like to respect the landowners views. What do you guys think from your experience, is it worth a shot to hunt the field in the morning?

I would prolly put up the deecks on the close field the early season geese r so stupid. I've used black garbage bags in the early season before, the weird thing is the geese that I was shooting at were just in the area and not using the field.

If you call they will answer but don't call to much!!!

[This message has been edited by set the drag (edited 09-01-2004).]

It wouldn't be a total loss to hunt the field. The only problem that I see could be if the geese that are still on the pond might hear you shoot and get flushed off the pond. If you were to hunt the water you would have a chance to get them when they come back, but then they won't be back there later. When they get shot off the roost they pretty much leave the area.I would try the field and see what happens. Worst thing would be just a few birds. It's still better than not hunting at all.

[This message has been edited by huntnfish (edited 09-01-2004).]

SilverLakeBoy: I think I've seen that on a Cheech and Chong movie. grin.gif If we did that, then we'd need waders.

I guess I've pretty much ruled out hunting the water now that I think about it a little more, I know there are some people going out there on Youth Waterfowl Day and there are a bunch of mallards out there we dont want to scare off.

[This message has been edited by Farley (edited 09-01-2004).]

If it were me, I would be watching where the geese leave and enter the pond, wait until they leave Sat to feed, and then set your dekes in the field close to their entry point pack to the pond. This will at least give you a chance to pass shoot and maybe get them to decoy.

Also, dont forget to play the wind. If you can hunt down-wind of the pond, this will be a better choice.

Good luck

------------------
>"////=<
[email protected]
Ice Leaders

www.stonelegacy.com

[This message has been edited by Tom Herman (edited 09-01-2004).]

I would watch what the wind is doing on Saturday morning. Geese fly into the wind when they take off. If you can get 200 yards away from the roost and set up in a visable location this should work great for you. I have had success only being 200 yards from the roost and not scaring off all the birds when you shot.
Or do as Tom said and find a good place to pass shot from the down wind side.
Either way Good Luck.

------------------
Hunt Snow Geese, Save the tundra

I agree with silverlakeboy, i actually have used the blue tarp idea. Got the geese to come in closer and make a double take for sure. Even had a couple of quackers try landing on it, boy was that a surprise! Its a great idea to try. Good luck!1

Mike