• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lottery is late July to early August, so it should be in the next few weeks.

That's what thier HSOforum states for the last month. My guess by the end of next week at the soonest.

Once one sees the Lottery for deer under progress, then about 2 days and the results are on thier HSOforum. Least that is what has happened for the past10-15 years.

I understand, this time of year I check almost daily to see if I was turned down. Try to not get my hopes up but I always do and then-no, more preference points for next season.

Tough as a NR when the herd is down and the NR tags are so few. Glad I archery hunt as I can always buy that online or over the counter.

I do not understand ND logic, if they are low on deer why allow doe hunting? I am sure this has been covered elsewhere. But the kettle is hot!! laugh Then offer more DOE tags after the first drawing.

The doe population in our zone-2G1 has grown nicely in the past 2 years. Maybe at least doubled at a minimum but no more tags. I thought there would be a decent increase from the last few years but I guess they have not seen the deer. Least that is what I saw last fall and what a few rancher have told me this summer.

Last fall, saw lot's of doe's in the general area we have hunted for the past 20 years. Our buck population for nicer bucks is still on the low side but that will change soon enough.

I guess we will not have much for issues with hunters asking to hunt with the few tags that were available in the draw this past week.

One positive, the herd will double all the faster with very few deer harvested.

I have to call the G&F as I had 2-3 preference points before the draw, did not draw a ML or rifle license and now see I have zero for points for next years draw. Have to see what's up with that. Tough enough to draw a NR tag, then you lose your points.

I have to call the G&F as I had 2-3 preference points before the draw, did not draw a ML or rifle license and now see I have zero for points for next years draw. Have to see what's up with that. Tough enough to draw a NR tag, then you lose your points.

Hmmm... I wonder if you drew and there was a mistake in the system? Either that or you didn't draw and there was a mistake in the system! grin If they zapped your points, maybe you actually did draw a tag. That'd be nice! I hope you get good news!!!

My buddies Jake and Gabe drew mulie tags out West and they are some excited about it! Jake shot a really nice mulie about five years ago and he's hoping to top that one. Regardless of what they see or shoot, I'm sure they'll have a fun time chasing them. Not many people pulled buck tags and even fewer people pulled mulie buck tags, so they're definitely fortunate to have tags in their pockets this year.

NO mistake on the no tag. Glitch in the system took my points away for next year. They have it all fixed now.

I thought when I saw I had zero preference points that I drew a tag as that is typically what happens. But, no rifle or ML tag.

That's ok I guess, I will just be a bit pickier on what I shoot with my bow and that way, I can make 5-7 trips up to the ranch. Nothing better than spending 25 plus days there in late Sept and October and into Nov.

As far as the refunds Bill, I use to pay with a check and it took about 2 weeks. Now I use a credit card and they credit my account pretty quick. It will show up on my next cc statement.

I would guess if you paid by check, you should have it back withing 2-3 weeks on the outside of they do as in the past.

I do not understand ND logic, if they are low on deer why allow doe hunting? I am sure this has been covered elsewhere. But the kettle is hot!! laugh Then offer more DOE tags after the first drawing.

In our zone, we are really not short of doe's at all, least I have seen quite a few in the past year. if they did not offer any doe tags, not many would get the opportunity to hunt and noone likes that. Trouble is with the doe tags in a zone like ours,2G1, in the river bottom areas, we have a fair amount of doe's but up on the high ground, the doe's are not nearly as high in numbers. They average that out and we wonder why there are not as many tags as we do have doe's in our smaller area of this zone.

I would still say for our area, we are maybe at 50% of the herd size we were 5-10 years ago. Then we had way to many deer for the amount of food for any given winter.

They can give out some doe tags and the herd will still respond well if the weather allows it. Bad winters and wet springs play an even larger role in herd management than the deer kill.

It was not that many years ago that i could get 3-5 doe tags in our zone as they had so many deer from year to year until a few bad winters and 1 very wet spring came along.

I believe ND had a good deer management program. We simply do not like when we do not draw a tag. many look forward to the fun times with friends hunting as much or more than the kill.

I listened to a video online on the ND Game and Fish HSOforum and I believe it was with Randy Kreill that said, they are trying hard to have a herd where many can hunt yet not so large of a herd that there are so many car deer accidents and crop damage.

I do not believe we will ever see a season or back to back seasons where they have more tags than they can sell. happened not that long ago in some zones.

In my 20 plus years of rifle and archery hunting in ND as a NR, I think they have done a fine job mamaging the overall deer herd. Mother Nature can throw a wrench in any program they offer. Some years I do not draw a rifle tag and the ML tags for a NR are a 5 year deal. But, since I archery hunt, I can still enjoy every fall in the ND woods.

Thank you Harvey for the input, I just moved to nodak, so I am pretty new to there system. I have hunted west central MN all my life. We have been pretty much buck only since 06 I do believe. They want to keep the harvest of does down to have the opportunity to have more fawns. I look at it like pheasants, if we want more pheasants we obviously do not shoot the hens.

Got another buck tag! 11 years straight and still haven't pulled a zero. I'll take these odds over Vegas grin

My Father went like 22 years pulling a buck tag when he was still hunting. Got a few resident friend who did not pull one this year for the 1st time in ages.

Odds for a resident are typically pretty good drawing a tag in most zones it seems.

Good luck Tyler.

Not so good this year even for residents.....GNF said 40,000 hunters did not receive a tag.Some of those can now apply for doe tags in units with some left over.Second year in a row I did not receive a tag.But I want one more crack at a mulie buck before I get to old.

Ken, how many years in a row have you applied and not drawn a mulie tag? I asked my buddies about this over the weekend and this was their sixth year in a row with not drawing (they finally drew this year).

Sorry you didn't get a tag. Good luck next year- I hope you pull a tag and smack a whopper!

I'm not 100% sure, but I thought archery tags had to be bought online or at a g&f office - sporting goods store isn't an option. I plan on bow hunting out here this year but haven't bought my tag yet.