• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Trolling deeper......

I have never had much use for being able to troll deep. Here in southern minn. we rarely have to troll much deeper than 15' to catch fish. Do use lindy rigs, ect.. with some success using 3/4oz. & 1oz. slip weights. But now unable to troll spinners, and cranks below 15'to 18' well.

A buddy loaned me his trolling bible 7th edition. It has many of the lures I use, and depth curve for snap weights. Nothing on lead core thou.

Can anyone give me some reasonable options for trolling at that 15' to 25' depth? Snap weights vs. lead core vs. ? Pros, cons ect.. I'd appreciate any help!!

I prefer leadcore, but then again I am set up for it. Snap weights will get you there too, and are a perfectly fine choice to do it, and will do it cheaper than a new setup. The thing I don't like about snap weights is that when taking the weight off, it is one more thing that can cause you to lose a fish. Trolling weights 10' in front of the crank will also get you there.

You mention that you have trouble getting your spinners to deeper depths. Don't be afraid to put some weight on. I have found that we here in Minnesota being taught not to use weight (because that's how grandpa did it) struggle getting lures deep. I always carry bottom bouncers from 1/2 to 4 ounces, and trolling/snap weights from 1/2-8 ounces with me.

If it takes 3 ounces to get to where you need to be, then use 3 ounces.

Thanks for the reply!! Understand the grandpa way! LOL!

I've heard some things about snaps thou. Slip and or slide on braids. My trolling rods are strung up with fireline.

Don't have the cash right now for a couple lead core setups, so snap weights may be an option. Thanks again!

i've actually trolled rapalas with a bottom bouncer before and produced walleyes from it...

i didn't have the right size and color combination to go real deep.

found a floater, tied on a leader and down she went..

I've had some success with spinners on 2-3 oz bottom bouncers. A rapala trolled behind it has never worked for me, neither has the snap weights. I don't have lead core, but I occasionally troll big floaters behind a small downrigger. That has brought in some nice fish when they are aggressive.

Except for May and late Oct/early Nov, the walleyes are always 15'+ deep on our lake. In general what works best is to use the deeper diving cranks by long lining. In the clear water, the fish are kind of spooky anyway so the extra distance helps. DHJ12's, Reef Runner 800's, Taildancer 9 deeps, Shad Rap 8's/9's, MinnowRap 11's, HotnTots will all get yout 15' +. Your Bible will tell you specifics.

Another way to get more depth is to use a three way rig. If you already have the snap weights you are set. Tie up your normal lindy rig with a swivel tied to your main line. From that same swivel (side tied to main line) tie an 18 inch drop with a snap swivel for the weight or direct to the weight. Use the snap swivel if you plan to change depth requently. Your drop line should be heavier than your lindy rig line. I like 15 pound mono. This is probably the cheepest, easiest way to get depth. I do a lot of trolling. I like lead for cranks and bottom bouncers for spinner rigs.

Good Luck!