• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Okay, Ive been doing some research on the stretch of the Poplar (doug. cty) that is above the Poplar River pond. It says on the trout classification sheet, http://dnr.wi.gov/topic/fishing/documents/trout/wisconsintroutstreams.pdf, that it's a class 2 stream, while the lower is a class 3. This information is from 2002 so it's 11 years old, but how much has changed since then, good or bad in terms of sustainable trout habitat? Ive lived here all my life and I never would have guessed this stretch held an average population of brook and brown. If that's the case, than where do they stock? Do they stock the pond? I just remember all the times during the spring when the whole class would go down to the area right below hwy 2 and release a bunch.

Ive been fishing parts above the pond here and there with no luck, but I do remember when I was younger, we did catch a few smaller brookies and I saw a larger brown. Idk, there are so many variables in determining if there are actually trout in there; noticed a few old beaver dams, could it have dried up to much over the summer and if so would it still be possible for them to survive in some of the deeper pools?

Im probably just gonna head to the pond, and some questions may be answered. Does anyone have any information on this? I have small stream addiction lol:-)

Well the DNR got their way last fall and they drained the pond due to deterioration of the dam and all there is now is the original channel flowing through it.

As for trout , Ive done ok wading the river up and down from Middle River Rd chucking small spinners or crawlers under bobbers. it would be pretty hard to use a fly rig in there because of how grown up it is. I have never caught any real decent sized fish from there but I dont doubt that they are there but mostly brookies.

You can also try the head waters of the Poplar off the South Shore grade, there is a large culvert there that passes under the road and a deep hole on each side of the road but you will weed through the chubs for sure.

if you give it a try let us know how you did.

Interesting material here in response to an email I sent to the fisheries biologist, Paul Piszczek. Seems like temperature is more of a problem than I thought. Probably because of the fact this stretch runs parallel with highway p, its getting all that road runoff.

"Your information is accurate regarding the Poplar River upstream from the Poplar River Pond being a Class 2 trout stream. And, your observations agree with those of the fish biologist back in the 1960s regarding the presence of trout habitat upstream from the Pond. However, environmental factors such as water temperature, likely outweigh the physical aquatic habitat attributes that would support a quality trout fishery.

Within the last 11 years, specifically in 2005, fish surveys were conducted at four stations: two upstream and two downstream from the Poplar Dam. In addition, water temperatures were measured with automated dataloggers at two stations upstream from the Poplar Dam. Overall, the maximum daily water temperatures ranged from 25 to 28oC (77 to 82.4oF), which is high for trout. It is possible that the three conditions you mentioned (beaver dams, drought, harsh winters) play a role in how well trout survive and reproduce in that segment of the river; this would warrant further investigation.

Regarding your stocking question, I believe fish were stocked upstream from the Pond, as stocking was discontinued in 2007 due to the high water temperatures and low trout numbers found in the segment upstream from the Pond in 2005.

The Poplar Dam is expected to be removed this summer. If at all, any trout restoration work would occur after the dam is removed. Restoration work would be contingent on environmental surveys for parameters such as water temperature."