• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Trail Cam Deer-Elk-Moose Pics or Video

MFDC1836.JPG

MFDC1728.JPG

MFDC1435.JPG

MFDC1556.JPG

I have seen the goofy Left-antlered Buck twice from the stand.  The others are lost in the corn maze!  With opener upcoming this weekend, I hope the corn will still be standing and there will be some cover to attract a few hot does for the upcoming weeks.  Good luck to you all who will be able to head afield, I won't be able to do the MN Rifle Opener this year but look forward to the year ahead with hopefully a larger and healthier numbers.

"Old news" as this is from 2012, but a cool thing happened for me today. In 2012 I harvested my biggest buck, a 14 point giant I missed with my bow before taking with my rifle. So I saw him during bow and rifle season, but never had trail camera pics of him; ever. After running into a neighboring hunter this week we got into a discussion about the past deer on the properties and as I started to describe my buck he told me he has pictures of him and had always wondered what happened to him. He pulled through today and sent them to me.

Thought it was awesome that 3 years later I finally got to see a pictures of him, and thought I'd share.

Edit: request for harvest pic. 

PICT0160.JPG

PICT0162.JPG

FB_IMG_1443236877966.jpg

Edited by Lunker

It's Ottertail county, many most look like him in year 2. They can look nice in the OTC in year 2 coming off the easiest winter ever recorded in some of the richest farmland in the state with killer genetics where Frosty hunts. I hunt next door to Frosty and we've shot some nicer ones then that that were 2.5 years of age as for many years in NYM, MN there was a DNR official at Gene's Standard don't know what that gas station is called anymore but he aged our deer for many years which was really interesting. Most guessed older compared to younger, we brought a brute 11 pointer once that we had to ask the guy again like how sure are you lol, 2.5 year old no way cmon, he had a dandy rack already but likely a genetic freak.

That's the beauty of OTC, by 3.5 you have something to zero in on. Where I'm currently hunting in zone 1 that deer with both sides is a head mounter lol. I'm in the clay soil with awful genetics, you're lucky to get a 1st year forkie, most are spikes in year 1. The nicer bucks on my zone 1 camera maybe score 120's and they're 4.5 and 5.5 year olds just guessing age really but the bodies would all dress over 2 bills meaning they must have some age on them. If you do see a nice yearling here he holds the potential to be a big boy and some are shot, not this year I guess though, not yet anyway. So I do APR myself and have since 1986 but APR here in zone 1 wouldn't work like it does in pure farmland country with quality genetics like OTC has. Spikes become forks in year 2 or 6's so you'd be protecting yearlings plus many of the 2.5 year olds here just because that's the deal and all the tcam years now prove it pretty well. Tech smart I'm not but I will send frosty a picture of a zone 1 buck and you'll get the drift massive body, no racks, if Frosty will load it up on here for me plus maybe my bear buddies lol.

The bucks I saw up close last weekend all had headgear and mighty fine racks at that. 1 more month or a bit more and it'll get em going. The deer in our area(s) idk but they shed late some way into deep March an occasional April. They go into winter in such great shape likely somewhat due to the mass amount of hunting pressure keeping them bedded tight through the rut for the most part, or really the whole month of November, they cruise like crazy after dark but this isn't the 1970's where it's an all day cruise anymore. Once opener is over, not just the bucks but it's maybe more so the doeheads that keep the bucks bedded tight as paranoid as the does get with all the pressure. This losing whatever % of their total body weight is a crock in the farmland country, an occasional gaunt buck sure, our tcams disprove that ancient theory. 

PS. Our Novembers have been so mild also, I think if the rut hit with super cold temperatures maybe that was a part of it as well as way less pressure so they burned more calories up. Every buck I see after the rut doesn't seem to have lost much of anything weight wise idk.

This doe has been coming in for about a month.  It had its front shoulder basically eaten.  You can see where the meat was pulled off the silver skin.  It runs around and interacts with the other deer.  But man, its gotta hurt.

I'm guessing either a dog or coyotes got it pinned down, but apparently, it got loose.

wound.jpg