• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Wing Waver Decoys

Has anyone tried these out yet? I thought they came out last year and was interested in getting one and I'm looking for the pros and cons. I'm sure they will be the ticket for geese as I know from experiance how good flagging is. The one thing I did notice is I'm a little apprehensive about the string freezing in the eyelet if it gets wet. I hunt alot of rivers late season and was thinking of setting it on a sandbar along with my bigfoots and I'm afraid it may get damp and freeze I guess if I get one I'll know.

I made all mine at home in the shop.For the string I used 40# braided dacron.I have never had any trouble with freeze-up.

The best thing you could do for your spread is add 1 or 2 of these(depending on decoy qty).I put out atleast 2 and use a couple different size flags.

------------------
Greg

Ben,no plans really.Just kinda fudged it as I went,but here goes.1st I traced a pattern from my "Bigfoot"(half rest position)on cardboard.Then I cut it out and kind of adjusted here and there to make it look realistic.Then I traced that onto 1/2" plywood,cut out and paint.Next drill a 1/4" hole on the top(back) about 1" deep.My wings are mounted on aluminum rod cut 2" long.Put an eye screw on the chest area,then I put 2 swivels on the tips of the wings that I've tied the dacron to.Next feed the strings(1 for each wing) through the eye screw and tie a barrel swivel on those.

I have an old fish reel that I keep the dacron on,I have it mounted to a stake.This goes in the ground at the blind,hit the freespool and your off and running.I have 3 decoys at a time I can run all off 1 main line.

I made these about 6yrs ago and the are truely awesome.They have improved every hunt since.Feel free to ask any questions.I'll see if I can get a picture of them and I'll post it here.

------------------
Greg

I sent the wife to the fabric store,showed her what I was up too(she rolled her eyes,again)and she picked up this really light weight stuff,almost like wind sock fabric.Works great.For the wing frames,I used strips of .032 aluminum about 2 1/2' long and about 3/4" wide.

Can't find my dang camera.THIS IS NOT GOOD !

------------------
Greg