• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Just got back from checking one of my spots nothing yet! We need some rain! frown

I did how ever come face to face with another guy with a stick walking in the woods. He said what are you looking for? I said "Deer antlers" And you? He said mushrooms. I said mushrooms? What kind of mushrooms? He said Morels. I said oh, have you found any? He said not today. I said have you ever found any here? He said a few. I said well good luck with those shrooms! And walked out of the woods. Hopefully he will check a few times and find nothing and not come back! frown I have found them there for the last 4 years so I know right where they grow! After the next rain I'm thinking! smile

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I checked a few spots near Chaska this morning all empty except one elm had a dozen 1 inch greys next to it....leaving them to grow. With this rain and decent warmth they should really be going by end of next week!

I checked a few spots near Chaska this morning all empty except one elm had a dozen 1 inch greys next to it....leaving them to grow. With this rain and decent warmth they should really be going by end of next week!
I agree by weeks end,The oak leaves are the size of lambs ears and the lilacs are just starting to bloom.there are other wives tale signs I'll stop there.

I agree by weeks end,The oak leaves are the size of lambs ears and the lilacs are just starting to bloom.there are other wives tale signs I'll stop there.

Oak leaves the size of lambs ears, huh? Still awhile here in Western Wisconsin. My wives tale says oak leaves the size of squirrel ears, which are probably smaller then lambs ears. Either way, my lilacs haven't bloomed yet. Still a few more days, I expect.

Went for a walk this afternoon in the west metro and a few dead elm stumps had them popping like crazy. A couple spots had 30-40 scattered around them. Tiny little micro morels (about 1/2" tall). I'm hoping they grow overnight, and don't walk off in someone else's bag...

Nice report schr. I checked a few spots today in west metro w/o any luck. But this rain and the temps should really have them popping in the next few days in my spots. Excited to get out a few nights this coming week!

We went for a drive today and stopped to check a couple spots and Boom! There they were... Verpas as we just identified! D@mn! I couldn't wait to eat them! They are on there way.

I didn't take any pictures, but I found a couple dozen decent-sized blacks north of Thief River Falls yesterday afternoon, and the rain we're getting now should really kick them into gear once the sun comes out again.

They were all in small clearings, I couldn't find a single one in amongst the trees, but that should change in a few days.

There were quite a few "micro" morels in with the bigger ones that I picked. I'll check on those this afternoon if it quits raining just to see how much they grew in 24 hours.

Can anyone share some advice for hunting morels in Grand Rapids, Mn area? What trees do you target due to lack of elms? I have found morels in GR but just luck, as I have not been able to find other than in the yard at my in laws the last couple of years. I have found them in close proximity to mature white pines.

Should be great metro and south this week. Good luck to all this season.

Weissguy

We ended up with a couple of pounds of little grays for the weekend, but switched to digging leeks...about 40 lbs of them to share around. Man, the two together in a pan are amazing!full-16801-33290-gedc0250(3).jpg

full-16801-33291-gedc0252(2).jpg

full-16801-33292-shrooms.jpg

full-16801-33293-gedc0255(2).jpg

Leeks are like an onion/ garlic. Cook how you want them , I toss a few in with the morels when frying up to take the bite out of them. or eat them raw and mama gets all grumpy and I sleep on the couch wink The leaves are a nice touch to a salad (uncooked)

Found a few Saturday, went back to a couple of private spots yesterday and low and behold the trespassers cut a few dozen morels out mad

Please everyone, respect private property, the owners will more than likely let you on there if you ask.

Taste like a cross between a white onion and garlic I'd say...they are usually about the size of a garlic clove...great in roasts, soup, on pizza, diced into a pan of mushrooms, etc...anywhere you might use garlic or onion.

A few more tonight. Starting to see a few yellows mixed in. Lot's good reports starting. I do use a shroom bag in the woods just throw them in the plastic when bring them in the house to keep the criters from crawling around! winkfull-27051-33320-shrooms2013002.jpg