• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yup, it's going to be a bit yet. Last year I was finding them like crazy already, but I think you are close in your prediction of 2-3 weeks. That's alright, though, it will give me plenty of time to shoot a turkey before I need to start worrying about shrooms!

Found these about an hour ago (5-4-13) just south of Cedar Rapids, Iowa:

full-3973-32736-5_4_13morels.jpg

These were found in my reliable very early season spots--all at the top of a west-facing slope at the very edge of some timber. There was as much grass as May apple growing around them. Spots fifty or a hundred feet away that will be producing great by the end of this week are a little more shaded and/or farther down the hill, and the May apples there (my favorite way to judge when a spot is ready) aren't big enough yet.

We are just over a week or so behind schedule in southeast Iowa, but it sounds like temps are finally going to stay close to normal, and with the moisture we have I think we are are going to have the best morel season we have had in three or four years down in Johnson County.

Still finding gray morels around Iowa City--not great numbers, but better than I've done the last three or four years here. Of course, I'm picking public ground, and I have to compete with a lot of other people.

With the mostly warm forecast for the next week, I;m thinking Fillmore County, MN, will be just over a week behind my area here, which is the usual pattern. So, if I'm right gray morels should be showing up on the Iowa-Minnesota border by the start of next week.

I plan on heading home to the Preston area the weekend of May 18, which may be a little early, and Memorial Day weekend, when the yellows should be in full bloom south of Rochester.

well are they gonna POP this week or is it still a week out ?

I Know we could use a good shot of rain.

I would say if it could rain an inch or so this week, with the warmer temps also, could be going in a week or so. I will be out as soon as it rains again.

There's a nice rain going here in Brainerd. I think we are still about a week away....maybe not with the warm temps the rest of the week.
I think you guys up there are a week or two behind us down by the cities and I'm thinking next week here. Going to check again tonight though. wink

Heck I don't know anything about Morels anyways smile
I will say this. I am up in the Brainard area at our camper just about every weekend. I have gone out for about the last 4 years around the area up there and have yet to find them? It maybe the sandy ground or, I just have not found the right spot yet but I know I have checked for miles around there! frown

Was out today, knew I wouldn't find any, but was on a ramp hunt. I'd say we've got a week.

As for being behind the Metro, we're usually almost the exact same time. Different morels, different soils, etc... 6 days for the first pick, my prediction. wink

I too checked a couple of places today, simply hoping to send Matt a picture! The soil is fairly dry, and the wind is making it even dryer! I'm hearing rain is in the forecast for this weekend, and I am thinking I will get the kids out on Friday to search. If we don't have morels by Friday I will be surprised. I think a week from today, we will have shrooms in the lakes country. Ramps/Leeks are already here, and if I knew what "fiddle heads/Ostrich Ferns" were for sure, I would say they are close, as I found a ton of half curled ferns today.....next week should be "go time".

Things are winding down in my corner of southeast Iowa near Coralville and Iowa City.

I had not been out since late last week, when the big grays and small yellows were just starting to show up. I wish I could have gotten out last weekend or Monday morning before the eighty-five to ninety degree temps hit here, but work and the wife did not allow it. crazy

This morning, I found a few big yellows that were just starting to dry out or get moldy, depending on where they were and how dry the ground was. These were in spots that produce the tail end of the season here. Whether I just missed the peak of the morel season in Johnson County, or it never quite took off on the public ground I hunt, I don't know.

What I do know is that for the fourth year in a row, I will be relying on Fillmore and Houston County, MN, to save my mushroom season. I'll be up there cutting timber, catching trout, and (hopefully) picking lots of morels Memorial Day weekend.

Well, if we get half of the rain they are predicting we should have them coming out our ying-yang. No rain here last night but thats all I see on NOAA all the way threw Monday. I feel like a kid waiting for the first day of school!