• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

wind operated spinning wing decoy

Has anyone every used the wind powered spinners? They supposedly work in wind 5mph or more. Do they work? If the wind blows hard do the wings spin too fast and look unrealistic? I am interested in one, but don't want to pay for a "good idea" that attracts buyers, and not ducks

I've got and use the wind operated one made by Trumotion/Expedite. The thing works pretty slick as long as you have "some" wind. Doesn't seem to take a whole lot either, just a little breeze. We had it cranked up in the ND wind for the past 2 seasons and I thought it was going to blow apart but it stood up to the gale force winds.
As to the question of the wings spinning too fast, maybe since they will go as fast as the wind blows. My biggest peeve is that since it swivels on it's post to always face the wind, sometimes a gust will grab it and spin the body around so it looks like it's flying with the wind instead of into it. Not a big deal though.
I've had mixed success over it and we usually mix it with a few motor units also. If you want to save some $ over a motor unit I'd say "go for it".

I had a different experience with the one I bought. Not sure the brand, can't remember (cost about 40 bucks). Mine lasted two trips before it blew apart. A big wind got ahold of it and tore several of the wing inserts out and cracked the cheapo plastic they are made of. Mine was pretty chinsy if you ask me. Additionally, you have to be very careful transporting them, if you bump them on the boat or throw a deek on them, you are going to have to do repair work. I would say save your 40 bucks and get a motorized one. I could be wrong on this but I think this year you can't even use the wind powered ones on public land (which includes the majority of water on private land because it is hooked or flows to or from a public ditch, stream, etc) for the first two weeks. The rule this year states no moving parts above the water line...this would include wind powered deeks...please correct me if I am wrong on this guys. I saw a motorized deek with no remote (I think remotes are illegal anyway..did you know that) for 70 bucks the other day. My suggestion would be to spend the extra cash and be happy with what you got instead on a lawn ornament like I have! Just my opinion.

one word...WINDUCK! They work in the slightest breeze and will hold up to ND winds. They also turn like a weathervein. They now have one with a different sillouette shape. I saw it in the Cabela's waterfowl catalog.

I don't think there is a too fast of a spin. While hunting I took a walk around the slough and I was at least 1000 yds away and you can still spot the "flash" across the way

$40 well spent grin.gif

WINDUCK and AIRLUCKY. R both nice to have around when the wind is about 5-20 miles per hour. I have both and a battery one (just in case the wind is to light in the morning. I would say it is a good thing to buy if you r a avid waterfowler. when is it good hunting without wind!!!!-

The spinning wing restriction is for "Motorized decoys with visible, moving parts that are above the water surface".
Applies to public waters from opening day through Oct 9, including youth waterfowl day. It goes on to say that wind powered spinning-wing decoys without motors are legal under this restriction. Found this in the waterfowl supplement on the DNR HSOforum.

I have a wind powered decoy about 2 years old that looks like the Winduck std model from Cabelas. It sure seems to take more than 5mph to get the thing spinning and I rarely use it, maybe the new ones are better. Oiling the bearings did not improve performance. Saw one at Game Fair last year that spun easy but can't remember what it was called, was flimsy plastic, just black/white and no body, but took very little wind to spin.

Just but more decoys.
I am not saying you are a bad hunter or anything like that if you use one. I used to have two of them but as season went one I found that the ducks would not finish with them in the water. I have not had for for 3 years now. I went to a bigger spread (70 decoys) and learned how to call better. And YES decoy placement helps A LOT.
We kill more ducks than the other guys on the same slough that have those things out.
Good luck whatever you do.

I'm with the rest of the guys that suggested to buy more decoys with that money as you won't have to worry about regular decoys failing or falling apart in a big wind.
Also, ever notice the movememt of your decoys in the water on a windy day? Look pretty real especially if you have around 75-100 decoys as my spread of 100+ deocys always attracted most of the ducks away from the robo-ducks!
If you need movement in your spread like on a calm day, get one of those feedeing decoys that have a bilge pump mounted on the bottom of the feeder decoy. They look pretty awsome in a spread on calm water.
There are no moving parts above the water so they are leagal to use any time of the season!
Good Luck!

I talked my buddy into buying an Air Lucky Duck last year. It was the funniest thing ever! It SQEAKED, and I mean bad! And we could not get it to stop!!

He **** near shot the thing. I do think it was a good concept though.

I have the mojo-mallard motorized and the Winduk wind powered decoys. Both of them have their place in the field. The Winduk model works great if the wind is blowing at a decent speed but if it's calm they are non-productive. I usally oil the bearings and all the moving parts this tends to keep them from rusting when getting wet during operation.

So I'm setting out the 75+ deke spread and shootin the birds trying to land on the robo... must be all the decoys right...? Too many variables to say right or wrong. My boat don't leave shore without it but shut it down if it isn't working (very seldom happens). Have an air lucky just bought last year. Very unhappy with it but will try to work on it when I get time. Noisy, doesn't turn real well, and wings seem to turn unevenly. Bought the floating stand from the same company. Total waste of money. Good idea - poor construction. Anyone tried the robo in Cabela's with the folding wings. Very nice at o'dark thirty. Anybody else out there hunter enough to admit they've shot their robo. Got mine. Dispatching a crip while the hound's retrieving another. Thought I was shooting over the top of it... no big deal. Dog gets back from that fetch and settle back in. Robo looks kind of funny. Wade out. Hole in wing from the wad.... Duct tape and keep hunting. That was three years ago. Duct tape still holding strong.

------------------
IBOT's # 17 & 248

[This message has been edited by Bryce (edited 08-21-2004).]