• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Lake Trout suggestions

Thinking of skipping our yearly walleye destination and trying for lake trout this summer. Does anyone have a suggestion on the better lakes to fish for them. Looking for size/catch and release. We usually go to Manitoba or Ontario. Any info would be appreciated! Thanks.

Scaup3...The Manitou in Ontario is a very good trout lake, and has the bonus of being not too far from the border. It is a very deep, clear cold water lake. Other species in the lake are Smallies, Muskie and Pike.

Jerkin m,

The only time I went to Nipigon was about 10 years ago and we only chased specs. I am going this year and I spent some time talking with a few guys who go every year to help me plan for the trip. They say numbers are good and size is unmatched. One of them said they got 3 over 40 lbs last year and many 30+ lbs. I don't know specifics on numbers because I never asked but you will catch fish if you know what you are doing and they will be big.

I will be up in Late May into early June assuming the ice melts in time. Our primary target will be specs with lakers second. Late May-June is best for specs and July/August is when you want to go if you are primarily targeting lakers from what I understand anyway.

Two of the guys I talked to are veteran laker fishermen and changed their annual trip to Nipigon instead of Isle Royal because the fishing is more consistent with much bigger size...if that tells you anything.

Where are you staying up there? It's pretty desolate as far as places to stay....We went onto the lake at some sort of park on the East side that looked like it was set up for summer camping/rv's possibly. That is a BIG lake and I would imagine pretty rough if the wind decides to kick up...I plan on making the trip for lakers in the next year or two as I have heard what you describe (hence our winter trip). I know the lake isn't charted too well and there are some hazards as well. Good luck and I am super jealous...

We are going to Onaman Lodge which is on the East side. Their cabin rates are very reasonable and I believe they have camping at the lodge as well. We chose that resort because it is the closest to good fishing for lakers and specs. You have to run down the river a ways to get to the main lake but it isn't too bad. I believe you can still camp remotely on the lake if you get a permit from one of the resorts but we didn't look into it as it isn't an option due to the age of a couple guys in our group. The guys I know that go up there every year just stay/sleep on their boats for a week.

It is definitely an isolated uncharted lake and it is going to stay that way as the canadian gov't doesn't want it developed and for good reason.

Nipigon's beauty is truly amazing, shear cliffs and waterfalls everywhere, crystal clear water, moose in every small bay...the list goes on. It blows the boundary waters scenery out of the water. The amazing scenery alone makes the trip worth it let alone the world class fishing.

As you can tell I am just a little bit excited. smile I just hope summer shows up and the ice goes away. We never even considered that being a problem when we put it on the calender. I fished open water last Spring in March and will be ice fishing in May this year. Crazy