• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Manitoba goose hunt in early Sept ??? to early ?

I have been invited to go goose hunting in Dauphin area of Manitoba Sept 9 . I think it is to early for a good hunt but dont realy know . I would apreciate any information or coments . Thanks

Give it a try. What do you have to loose? There should be lots of local birds in that area. I guess I would find out if the crops are out of the fields before you go.
If you go let us know how you did.

------------------
Hunt Snow Geese, Save the tundra

Sounds like you have a good time planned. It might be a little early but so what. Be prepared for hot weather. I hunt S. Sask the first week in Oct. and it has been just beastly hot the last few years. One thing to remember is there is no shooting on Sundays. Good day to travel and scout.

You should have some birds to whack. Either way give us an update for those who have not gotten out yet.

Good luck. Oh, have you gotten your PAL card yet? If not you will have to pay per gun at the border and go through the big background check. They also limit the amount of ammo you can bring to 200 shots and then you have to pay duty on the rest. Be accurate on your shell counts as they can take everything out and check.

Good area and if the hunting stinks... great fishing around there!

Just a quick correction.
You can hunt on Sundays in Manitoba. Manitoba lifted that law 2 years ago. Sask still has that law.
Talked to my relitive in southern Manitoba last night. He told me there is a fair amout of local birds this year. The farmers are having a bad crop year. Sounds like most of the grain crops as laying flat in the fields due to too much rain. Bad for the farmers, good for hunters. There will be plenty of grain in the fields this year to hold geese in a area. Sound like the corn crop is stunted and only 2 foot high.
Just some info for hunters headed that way this fall.

------------------

Way to early!!!!!I go every year to mb snow goose(sky carp) hunting. We went a few years back A week early to try and nail the first wave comming down. NOTHING except for local ducks. Travled another 3-4 hundred miles north to meet up with the lads...75 degree days tennis shoes and shorts for waders and not one snow goose. This was the last week in sept. like I mentioned it was one week early from the first all day hunting time that nonresidents could hunt. you might be wasting your time. good luck if you go.

Back in the early 90's we went to the Oak Hammock area 2 years in a row on the non-resident opener and crushed the Canadas along with a few misc. snows and ducks. You won't be getting any big waves of snows or migrating canadas, but there are plenty of local birds. Pressure was very light and the birds were not wary at all...

Is it to early to hunt geese in the metro during the Sept. season? Just need to scout and be where they ant to be.

I'd take advantage of this trip and maybe fly back up there during the peak of the migration in October.

Good Luck! Ken

I agree, it's too early for snows (skycarp - I love it!). We hunt the south shore of Lake Manitoba every year at the end of Sept. and the last few years it ain't been worth a ****! We're gonna go first week of Oct. this year and hope for more geese. Does anybody else think the snows have changed their migration path? Maybe moved west?

Just got back and had a good time . Lots of geese and a reasonable amount of ducks .Definatly not to early. Bugs where the worrst I have ever encountered . Thanks everyone for talking me in to going. !!

That is great Cheers!
Glad to hear you had a good time.
How were the crop conditions? Is it really wet in that area? I know they have had a lot of rain this year. Just wondering if you could drive in the fields.
Thanks for the report.

------------------

Fields where wet but could still drive with no problem , lots of standing grain but the best fields had been harvested so we could drive out to the decoy spread. Lots of bugs if you go bring a head net .