• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Weighted Keel Or Air Pocket Goose Decoys

I am looking to buy some floating goose decoys for this fall. I have some of the weighted keel type and I like them, but I was wondering how well the ones with the air pockets on the bottem work. I read they are suppose to suck and stick to the water. It just kind of looks like they wouldn't do so well in the wind and waves. What do you guys think about them?

My limited experiance would say that it does not matter. The spread and calling are the key. If you are hunting open water for goose then you need 3-12 floaters, and toss in a few ducks(if you are going pure goose). Me and my hunting partner have pulled pairs into a spread of duck decoys with only 3 goose floaters. But he can call on a flute. I would guess that cover and a good spread will draw them near and a good feeder call will bring them in.

I have had them blow over.
Nothing worse than leaving the blind to go upright a decoy.

I have filled all my water keels.

Much better with weight in them.

The other thing is that when you are putting them out, they sit upright on their own, when you are tossing them out in the morning. The water keels end up on their sides half the time, if you toss them out.

I have a 1/2 dozen of the keelless goose decoys. They are more prone to tipping over in high winds(not a problen unless it's 20+ mph). The ones I have, have the switchable heads(sentry/feeder). They do not blow over when used in the feeder postion. So I set the sentry ones closer to shore and my weighted keel ones further out.

Borch

We have a few of the sucsion geese deeks in our spread and they seem to handle ruff water better then the aqua keel or the wieghted keel.They tend to ride the waves a lot smoother, And we've hunted on some pretty windy days. The other advantage is you can use them for field decoys if you have the chance, that dosn't happen for me very often. Good luck with you choice, and no matter What your wife says, YOU CAN NEVER HAVE TO MANY DECOYS.