• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Trolling Books/Depth Guides

vman11

It's probably been discussed over and over on this forum, but I couldn't seem to find what I'm looking for through the search functionality.

I am looking for recommendations on crankbait trolling guides/books for lead core and braids. I'm just getting serious into trolling as I bought the the gear (crankbaits, trolling rods, line counters) but know nothing about the speed and amount of line needed to target specific depths.

Precision Trolling Data, LLC

The book is no longer in print and is fetching some good money in the secondary market.

There are 2 new products available from Precision Trolling,

one is the Stickers and the other is the smartphone App.

The stickers can be purchased in groups of similar lures or

individually. Fleet Farm has the packages of stickers. The

individual stickers can be purchased directly from Precision Trolling.

The stickers are directly from the book but can be stuck

on your different Plano trays to help organize your cranks.

The smartphone App is nearing completion from what I understand.

The App is going to be the cat's meow when it finally comes out.

It shows leadcore dive curves, as the curve is the same regardless of the lure. (I say that because if you have 100' of lead out, the leadcore will be at the same depth whether you have a shad rap or floater tied on. Depending on your leader, the crank may or may not be at the same depth but the leadcore for sure will be)

Some of the more common cranks also have a divecurve for 10# braid.

The book you're looking for is Precision Trolling by Mark Romanack. It shows 18 lb. leadcore diving curves as well as many crankbait diving curves. You won't find anything about braid but for simplicity, use a braid the same diameter as 6 lb. test line because there is a dive curve for 14/6 Fireline. I use PowerPro braid that is the equivalent at 6 lb. test and it works great.

There is also another called Precision Trolling Big Water Edition by Mark Romanack as well that goes deeper into methods to get cranks and lures deep.

As mentioned earlier, they are out of publication but you can find them on the net if you want to pay the price.

When you hear the term "The Troller's Bible" mentioned, these are the books and they're good. Also like was mentioned above, there are sheets available at various stores (Fleet Farm for one)that have dive curves for various newer cranks that can be addded to the original book. It's then simply a matter of locating the depth of fish, figuring out how fast you want to start pulling cranks,choosing a crank,looking at the dive curve of that crank, and with the lead you have chosen, determining how much leadcore to let out to get the crank to run usually in the range of 2 to 5 feet ora so above the fish. Always run above walleyes an dnoit below them. It's easy when you get the hang of it.

I believe the people that used to do the trolling book no longer print it and are developing an app that isn't out yet. You can possibly find a used trolling book on auction sites.

Quite honestly I find this curious. Not every fisherman has a smart phone (or wants one) believe it or not. I can see cutting back the number of books you print, but to completely stop priting them altogether? It just seems that you are cutting some of your potential customers/profit out of your pocket.

The reason the book is no longer in print is because it was to easy to copy pages and hand them to your buddies.

This cuts Marks profits and he is in it as a business and not a charity. There are the stickers if you do not have a smart phone. I believe the stickers are about $2 apiece, and the smart phone lifetime app (all cranks and weights, for life) was going to be in the $100 range so you can clearly see he app is the way to go if you troll more than just a few different lures. The app would go to your app store so you don't have to re-purchase it when you get a new device.