• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

lake christina poison farce

well it looks as though the lake is still full of black bullheads. the water clarity is still poor and that's bad news for us diver hunters and the canvasback. I've hunted Christina,pelican and many other area lakes for the past 25 years, done countless fundraisers for dams and other improvements to try and save these lakes so the ducks will come back. I cant even tell you how much we've spent on preparing for this last poisoning and the countless hours logged,on the phone,and feet trying to raise red flags and gain support. but,due to lack of talent during the spraying,were still in deep ----. the contractor hired to spray the lake dumped their loads so high in the air,that the chemicals ended up mostly somewhere else. the only spot that got the right dosage was where they crashed the helicopter. The last time the lake was killed off the aircraft were so low they would have rolled you out of a boat, and it worked, the cans came back along with countless other divers to gorge themselves on the abundant plant life. My hopes are that after all the finger pointing is over, they'll try again. The dams are in place,fishing is closed indefinately so as not to restock with rough fish. the sportsman and local business made a gallant effort to help raise the money needed before the DNR would act. It's up to us now, to put the pressure on. Write or Email the Governor,your senator,and the DNR. good luck

Quacker Attacker--

Thanks for the post and update on Christina... and moreso, thanks for all the work you've done for the many projects there! I've never hunted Christina, but have heard numerous stories of "The Good Old Days" there, and would be very pumped to have the chance to hunt it some day. I always follow the progress of what's happening up there, and would love to see this lake restored.

Your efforts should be copied in lakes and sloughs all over the state, as our old resourse of ducks and geese have been depleted and have had their migratory courses changed to pass through hundreds of miles to the west! Good luck in your efforts!!!

Duck-o-holic

On the subject of lake restoration, it's been my contention that we need to kill off alot of these lakes that have been infiltrated either on purpose or mistake with minnows and other critters that the ducks don't eat. Is there a way to restock these lakes with say Freshwater shrimp and other innvertebrae that the ducks would eat? or are they (the shrimp, etc)naturally occurring and just need time to come back? On another note thank-god only 2 months till opener again!.

YES, You can stock a lake with fresh water shrimp.....look into it at a Pet Store....look to buy BULK "see monkeys" thats the kids name for them........buy a ton and dump away....I have a small public spot (4-5acres) that I would love to stock with shrimp, it never gets hunted and wold be awesome to have as a food source in there...Dave!