• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Anyone know where I can get calling lessons in the metro area? Also, what are everyones thoughts on calls? I currently have a Primos Wench, Primos PHAT lady, and Old HS Single reed. I like both the Primos models but the HS sticks constantly. I am look for a good all around single that can do well with close in work and hail calls. Is it worth it to spend the money on the acrylic and be done with it or is it just for show? Thanks,
Seabass

[This message has been edited by Seabass77 (edited 07-30-2004).]

Seabass
I know that Minesota Waterfowl *** . has a meeting the last Wednesday or Thursday of every month at Gander Mountian in Maple Grove. They are more than willing to help you out with your calling. Call Gander to find out when the meetings are.
Your second choice would be to go to Game Fair coming up. There are many pros and beginners there that are more than willing to help you with your questions.
Hope this helps

------------------
Hunt Snow Geese, Save the tundra

Yup, thats the place to go! G.M. in Maple Grove!
Should of asked this question yesterday or wednesday as the meetings are the last thursday of every month. 6:00pm
The meetings are great to go to as they talk about waterfowl hunting to the max. And will answer any question about calling, hunting, or any related question to waterfowling and meet some very good, I mean champion callers who really know how to call ducks and geese.
To me as an avid waterfowler, the meetings are a hoot to go to and almost go too fast!
They usually last about an hour and a half.
Most wear hunting caps and camo, just like the Game Fair. So bring your calls and don't be afraid to ask as these guys love to teach you how to call. Just hang out after the meeting outside the front door of the store, thats where they will blow there calls to show you "How to do it"!
Good Luck!
And the best part is it won't cost you a dime to attend these meetings.
Check them out at the Game Fair!

I liked it when it was the old way. Nobody would be afraid to walk up to a caller and ask for some guidance. Now the intimidation fator is overwhelming. And it's tuff to just walk up to a guy and ask for some tips.

It's more like a meeting now. That's whet I dont like. I liked judt s bunch of guys hsnging out cslling ducks.

I went to one MWA meeting when it was still called the MN Duck and Goose Calling Assoc. I was intimidated as well and didn't go back. It may be just as much my fault. It's a great resource, I would go back and try it again if I was still in the area. I'm almost certain they have a member that gives structured private lessons.

Do be an expert caller, it needs to be a 12 month a year activity that you practice much like any other musical instrument.

Being an expert and foolings ducks are different things, but my buddies and I get a kick out of pulling ducks from other guys blocks.

I would say get linked up with good information before you get started, so you don't develop bad habits and then practice like heck.

Good luck!

The best pros arent gonna be able to help you read birds... spend more time in the field... call more... see how the birds react...if they dont like it stop... if they like it keep doin it. Im 100% self taught and i guide waterfowl hunts.
The best thing you can do is to get out more, too many people dont understand why they cant kill birds with their once a year weekend hunting trip, just like everything else it takes PRACTICE! Your gonna look stupid but carry your calls and call in your vehicle every day- on your way to work- to church- wherever- just blow.

...A seminar?...prolly not, but I can surely give some advice/tips over the phone and possibly meet up with some of you.....
Over at the Minnesota forum on "duckhunter.net" you will find a bunch of guys getting together this Friday at the Big-10 bar on hi-way 10...I will be there with these guy (a great bunch of guys) we meet in the bar area then go down stairs and blow our calls and try each others calls...and so on...if any of you want to go feel free......the post on the HSOforum over there is titled "Brew Crew Meeting" (in the MN forum) check it out and post up here if interested in going.....Dave