• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Line for a line counter

Doctor J

Hi there. I am purchasing a couple trolling rods and line counter reels. I read the long thread that started in January, but couldn't find an answer to this question. I plan on trolling in 6 to 30 feet down. I don't want to use leadcore. Can someone point me to which type of line I should use? Mono, fire line, braid?

Thanks

Use 10 pound mono like Trilene extra tough. If you need to get deeper than what you are running, use trolling weights In various sizes to get you to the depths you need. Trolling weight depth charts are available online by doing a simple Google search.

10lb 2lb diameter is on some charts. So thats what I use I have power pro on both and it seems like it dives a little farther than the charts with the same amount of line out. I have gotten hj12's down to 22' and the box says down to 19'. Most manufacturing companies are putting there dives to #'s on the boxes and I believe those #'s are achieved by using100yds of 10# mono. So with braid less than 10# dual you will get a deeper dive.

There's no way i'm messing around with snap weights when i've got leadcore in the boat. The only time snapweights are used is when i'm trying to run several rods in the boat, then a combination of planer boards, leadcore, and snapweights or even 3-way is necessary. If i can avoid trying to take off a planer board or snapweight when reeling a in a fish i will. Taking them weights off is a great way to lose fish if your not a crafty veteran at it.

I would use the KISS theory(no offense. Keep it simple, stupid: as a rule of thumb with a few things in mind. Long expsansive trolling runs are great for snap weights, boards and leacore. Leadcore has the advantage in shorter leads on inland lakes that you can get some smaller baits down and still contour troll following a fairly tight contour whereas, snap weights are much more difficult to manage on quick turns on smaller lakes. For general trolling with a line counter I highly suggest the trollers bible app or if you can get them, charts to use, with the baits you want to troll. If you have this then line choice becomes a secondary factor rather then a primary factor because it gives you the running depths for a variety of baits and a variety of line weights along with the(older versions)use of various snap weight scenarios and the line weights and lead lengths associated with them. Type of line or lead length becomes secondary if you don't know how deep a bait will run on a given length IMHO. Most applications the 10-4 fireline/powerpro will get you into the ball park. There is also metered powerpro out there I believe which helps negate some of the need for a LC reel but if you don't know where your bait is going to be running then you are in for a long painstaking hit and miss scenario before you can get things dialed in. No need for leadcore in alot of situations and again it depends on the lake and the types of baits/trolling runs you can do. I like to use a couple segments of core to run in the 12' range to enable me to run shorter leads with smaller floating raps and the leadcore seems to follow the contours well and with a little goose of the motor when the bottom starts to rise I can keep my baits in the zone but it takes a bit of experimenting to totally knock it out of the park.

Tunrevir~

Quote:
10lb 2lb diameter is on some charts.

make sure you have the same amount of line on each reel.

Use some Mono as backing. then add the 10lb 2lb dia, line. As the spooled line on your reel gets smaller with line out the further off the line counter will be. Plus your drag setting will be different. Small dia, line also will let you lure dive deeper.

Small dia, lines all the way for this kind of fishing.