• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

How would You fish this lake?

Nolan

How would you fish this lake? Max depth of six ft, most of the lake is four ft. Completely surrounded by cat tails with a mud bottom except a small part on the north side which is grass and has a gravel bottom, it also has a ditch flowing in there. The lake is brown maybe two inch visibality, No weeds, and loaded with bullheads. This winter we smacked 18"-20" walleyes first ice with darters right next to a cat tail point. I want to try it this May out of a boat.. I have planer boards and cranks, and jig and plastics to try, bullheads eat live bait instantly.. How would you do it?

Get out early and cast raps to shore! My favorite way to catch eyes!! Keep the boat as far from structure as possible while casting as close to it as posssible. Defintly slip bobber the gravel during low light and keep the bait up off the bottom a little to help prevent the bullies from biting. Good luck and remember to practice selective harvest. It sounds like a rather small lake and it can get fished down faster than you would think.

That sounds awesome. I once knew a lake just like the one you describe that was used as a walleye rearing pond. It was absolutely choked with weeds though, so you couldn't fish anything without a weedguard.

We mostly casted 3" grubs. I like the crankbait idea too.

Eyes eat little bullheads,Bullheads dont.I'd slip bobber some 1 to 2 inch bullheads.Course you wont find them in spring time,Search out some warm waters where there small bullheads.I catch lots of 4-9 lb eyes in the Mn river on bullies!

Just hope a shallow pond like that hasnt froze or lost oxygen for fish kills.Funny it has larger eyes because of this it should have had a winter kill in 2010.

Eyes eat little bullheads,Bullheads dont.I'd slip bobber some 1 to 2 inch bullheads.Course you wont find them in spring time,Search out some warm waters where there small bullheads.I catch lots of 4-9 lb eyes in the Mn river on bullies!

Just hope a shallow pond like that hasnt froze or lost oxygen for fish kills.Funny it has larger eyes because of this it should have had a winter kill in 2010.

Funny, this winter everyone I cleaned was loaded with little baby bullies.

this might sound really odd, but the lake you mentioned sounds really, really familiar! lol If its the same one I would bet the deeper part of the lake is where they will be hiding. I would cast raps or pitch a jighead and shiner to shore

Look for moving water. Wind blown or other.

It sounds like a Walleye rearing pond. Tough to fish, my guess is it will be weed chocked soon, so trolling is out.

No bobber fishing with all the Bullheads. Small swimbaits with and with out spinners. Spinners with gulp crawlers. I wouldn't spend to much time on it. Use it as your winter spot.