• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

First Season Hunters

DonBo

Awesome.

Last time my son and I hunted in the snow the two of us had 7 birds on the ground in two days. Plus with all the crappy weather lately the birds haven't been pushed out of the public lands yet.

Connors2ndBird.jpg

KS2inone.jpg

KSConnoronbailwith3rd-1.jpg

Went out today to set up a blind for a youth hunter. After trying to drive out to the SET UP place. We walked shoveled and rested in the blind. We saw many tracks in the snow so hopefully they are using the area on the 17th. On the walk out we heard a gobble, hard to say were it came from in all the snow and wind.I guess we will see on Wednesday.

I bet I saw 50 plus turkeys today as I drove around in the snow and sleet looking for a few additional properties before our seasons. They are still out there moving around.

Good Luck to those hunting "A" season.

I am still excited about the upcoming days/season.

Took the boy out our main property to scout for sign. At the old farmstead the tracks are numerous, I believe they may be roosting here, time to find a new place to park. Also found an area about 2 acres in size by the river that is absolutely pounded with tracks and wing drag marks, looks like a strutting zone. At the same time there is a lot of feces and feathers here, which leads me to believe they are roosting here also. Troubling though is ALL tracks lead to the river and cross.

If anyone wants to give a few hints on how to hunt these river birds it sure would be appreciated. I am unsure how close I can get to this strutting zone or the river crossing without walking virtually underneath them.

Can one walk this close in the dark? 1hour-1 1/2 before light?

Anyfish,

My go to spot is in the woods where I intercept the birds heading from the roosting area to where they like to go spread out.

If you have the opportunity you might want to try going out late in the day and set down and try to find out exactly where they are roosting.

If you can figure that out you could set up further down the travel corridor and hope to itercept them as they work their way along the river bottom.

Good luck.

I hope you can get the boy on a bird.

Thanks guys for quick replies.

Borch I was kind of thinking the same thing. Hopefully after tomarrow thay will want to walk west instead of east and across the river. I have a good set in mind that is between both potential roosting areas. I will see more come Wed., no need to bust them on day one!

Hugonian, I would love to set up on them by the river, but thier crossing in only 60 or so yards to the east. So a morning set will be difficult at best. I do however have an idea as to where they may be crossing back in the evening, this will be my day one evening set.

And yes, I will be roosting the birds tomarrow with any luck.

It was amazing that the trails/tracks we found are ALL one way streets. No tracks went both ways on any trail.

Thanks again guys. All ways trying to learn more.

Turkeys often move in loop patterns in their daily routines. They'll head off the roost in one direction and often approach back in the evening from the back or different direction than morning. Not always, but often. Your track findings confirm this. Use the track direction to figure out your morning and evening setups!

Well here's what we are looking at for anyone hunting down in the SE corner on the state! cry

Wednesday

Mostly cloudy with snow and rain in the morning, then overcast with thunderstorms and rain. High of 43F. Winds from the ENE at 10 to 15 mph shifting to the North in the afternoon. Chance of precipitation 80% .

Thursday

Overcast with snow and a chance of rain, then rain in the afternoon. Fog early. High of 43F. Winds from the NW at 10 to 15 mph. Chance of precipitation 60% .

Friday

Overcast with a chance of snow and rain showers, then a chance of snow and a chance of rain in the afternoon. Fog early. High of 37F with a windchill as low as 19F. Breezy. Winds from the NW at 20 to 25 mph. Chance of snow 70% with accumulations up to 1 in. possible.

Saturday

Partly cloudy in the morning, then overcast. High of 48F. Winds less than 5 mph. laugh Yippy! One day! frown

Sunday

Mostly cloudy with a chance of rain. High of 55F. Winds from the SSE at 10 to 15 mph. Chance of rain 70% with rainfall amounts near 0.2 in. possible.

Everytime I've held an A tag, I've tagged the first morning! Seems like if it's going to happens, it happens right away.

Quote:
Buddy heater? Not sure if I should harrass you for being a sissy, or congradulate you for being sensible.

Don't listen to Don - we had our heaters in the blind most of NE trip! I'd rather be a warm sissy than be tough & cold!

Congrats! laugh

Way to go AS. Was out calling today for 2 people who have not hunted before. After not hearing a gobble all morning 1 of them tryed a push pin call, Wham. A pair of jakes down. A couple more turkey hunters hooked, gotta Love A season. bluefull-367-32190-537264_626864077324316_21