• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

What your Favorite call

i like to use the duck commander series for my timber calling it is short barrel double reed. I also have to many according to the other half. Late season I switch to a bigger barrel single reed for volume. I also like the drake call. for confidence. As for geese i use Illusion flutes which are harder to learn to blow correctly but with a good tone. my usual is not even made anymore it was a golden goose call i picked up years ago at game fair. what do you all like , use, prefer , whatever.

I use an arcrylic big river double reed and a DR85 for back up. For Geese, a big river flute. Looking for a new goose call, I'm thinking Foiles, but haven't made a decision yet.

------------------
Rip Lips

[This message has been edited by WALLEYENUTZ (edited 07-14-2004).]

[This message has been edited by WALLEYENUTZ (edited 07-14-2004).]

For duck some of my favorites are:
-Acrylic Ebony and Ivory Winglock Single Reed
-Acrylic Red and Black Taylor Talker Single
-Acrylic Burbon and Clear Let 'Em Lite Double
-Poly Red and Clear Kwack Wacker double
-Poly Burbon Echo double timber call
And I always have the Duck Commander Brown Sugar double for close in work.

For Goose I have one go to call:
-Delrin Short Reed Winglock
Also have:
-Cocobola and poly short reed Let 'Em Lite
-Acyrlic Ward Calls Short reed

I think I like collecting calls about as much as I like blowing them. I always have a duck call laynard and a goose call laynard in my vehicle with me. Anytime I drive over five minutes I throw in a calling cd and have at it. My two present favorites are the Keith Allen's "Refuge Man" CD for ducks and the Dave Smith "Breakthrough II" CD for goose. Last year was the first year that I was the "go to" caller for our group in the blind.

I have to say that my widow maker call is the best big guys calls for ducks. I have had it for atleast 3 season and no let downs yet. I have changed the reed once but thats it. It is a single reed call. And it is very loud and true. no flat spots in the call, smooth sounding just like the mallard hen.

For goose calling I use a fat boy By BGB and I have only had it one season. And never really goose hunted till last year but I found out that goose calling is much easier or that geese are just that prone to a cuople decks and a decent caller.

The next call I will buy will be a super mag by Timm Grounds. I love the sound of this call but its a little more than what I spent on the fat boy. $150.

don't shot waite for the feet!!!!!

I use a Marshland call. Made by a small ma/pa company in Kansas..or Nebraska...can't remember which. I think the guy who made them died, but could be wrong on that too.

I hunt lakes, not little potholes, and I do not spend much money on calls. Sure shot double reed plastic barrel for ducks, K&H Magnum cluker short reed for geese. Sound better than most I've heard on the lake.
Total = $22.99

I have been using a cheapo duck call for a couple years now. I am not too sure who makes it but seems to have a really good sound to it and I am able to do a feeder call fairly well with it. As for my goose call, I was using a flute but then upgraded to a supermag by TG just this week. It is really windy but the sound is incredible. In my mind it is much better than my old flute. My brother has a Zink Paralyzer SR-1. He says that it is much easier to blow that the supermag. Both calls are a bit spendy but they seem to sound a better than the any flute that I have heard.

Like any call though, you have to work with it and it is only as good as you make it.

Nels2039

For ducks I just picked up a kwack wacker single reed and I think that will be the new go to call this fall. I also have a few other cheap ones. I think the good old DR-85 is still one of the best meat calls and the price is hard to beat. For geese I have been using a Foiles and a Heartland that I have tuned high and they work good. I only wish I had spent the money and bought a higher end call from the start so I wouldn't have a ton of calls collecting dust.

I just picked up a new call last weekend at the grand opening of the new waterfowl store. Quite ducky I think, it's a RNT wood Daisy Cutter. May be my new call in the field.

Otherwise, my calls were

Duck: Shane Roten vortex for the windy sunny days. And a Echo poly/wood timber call.

As for geese I keep comming back to the flute. It's just to easy of a call to work. I have been blowing a single reed for a while now, but not just comfortable enough to take it out to the field. Practicing a short barrel goose call in the truck is not fun when you need at least one hand for the wheel. grin.gif

------------------
Lawn sprinklers save your grass...
Fire sprinklers save your A$$

I use a Foiles Migrator 'straight meat honker"' for geese.
I use a foiles Migrator 'straight meat mallard', and an Echo 'open water' extra loud all acrylic.

I also use a custom made duck commander that I bought from Fred Zink when he first got started and before he produced his own calls.

when I first started duck hunting about 9 years ago, I used a Haydells BDR 95 extra loud, and I still think it's one of the best sounding DR calls around, proving that you don't have to spend a fortune on a call..., but I wouldn't trade you my migrators for your truck.

Ducks - I blow a Foiles Timber rattler!

Geese - Foiles straight meat honker

I plan on getting another couple calls this year for both ducks and geese. I want to try GK calls and Heartland calls this year. Hopefully they are both at the game fair this year!

Rainman