• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Blind Set Up?

esox49

Lookin at huntin new piece of property this year. However, with the weather we have been having I may not get down to scout until I hunt. Question is this: How big of a risk am I taking if I can not set the blind up until the morning of the hunt? The spot I want to set it up is an opening inside of a woods that I know they fly down to off the roost. Will I spook them off the roost in the dark as I am setting up the blind? I hunt second season. Any thoughts?

Are you bow hunting? If it were me I would bring the blind with if you are planning to set it up and leave it, but I think I'd just go without the blind if I was shotgun hunting. If you are bow hunting I think I'd set up from a little further away and get the blind up in an area along the expected travel route.

Turkeys do not care about that blind. If you can setup and be silent enough in the dark you can setup that morning if you really want to use a blind. I would only use if bad weather or bow hunting. If you want for comfort still will not matter if you can setup silent enough without spooking them out of roost. Good luck let us know how you do.

Setting up right close to roosted birds is asking for trouble. IF you get in very early, well before light, and IF you are extemely quiet you may be able to get by with it. Personally, I'd set up first morning a little ways off, then move the blind during the day if that's where you want to be.

Since you won't have time to scout I wouldn't risk setting it up not knowing where they will be roosting. In the darkness you might be right under them and with the noise you make they will sail out of there at flydown. If you set up and they are nowhere near you again put your self at a huge disadvantage.

The times I have hunted without scouting I usually enter my area in the darkness and stop for a few minutes and listen. Once the woods calms down from my disruption I try and locate with calls. Once I get a response I move in stealth using the terrain to hide my movement from where I think the roost is and set up tight. I don't set up a blind when I'm tight I find a decent tree to sit and lean against, facing the direction I believe they will come in at.

If nothing responded during my attempts at locating I usually have a back up spot I've located in google maps, to sit on till i hear where the birds are at.

Hope this helps