• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

semi, pump, stacked ???

Boy does that title give you a false impression. Any how got permission to buy a new shell waster and trying to decide on a model and style. First off Benellis are out because I can't hit a durn thing with them. And i am looking to probably hang with just 3" mags. Want to keep the price around 6 bills any thoughts.

Guess alot depends on what you are going to be using it for.

I'm shooting a Remington .870 Wingmaster 12 gauge. I love that gun. I'd recommend it to anybody. I definitely think you're getting a lot of gun for the price. Guess the important thing is to find a gun you're comfortable with, learn how to shoot it well, and maintain it.

The new Browning Cynergy over/under is a heck of a nice looking gun. Alot more than 6 bills but a guy has got to dream wink.gif

Everybody is different but, I have the same problem with Bennelli that you do. Can't hit nothing. For me I've had really good luck with Berreta auto's. They only shoot up to 3" but will also eject the lightest 2 3/4" shells too. Take a look at the al391. It's a light and very reliable gun that I just love to shoot, and shoot very well with.

Have you tried changing the shims on the Benelli? I comes with 3 and the one that is in from the factory has the most stock drop which can make the gun shoot low or require one to cover the target. Try the A shim ( with the lowest drop) you might be amazed.

You could find a used one for $600.

Best way to tell how many shells have been through one is to look for the wear on the reciever where the shells eject. I used to shoot mine ~ 1000 rounds a year and after the first year you could see it. Most used ones I've seen at gun shops never have that much wear.

why not go with something that can shot three different types of shells? I have the benelli nova, the one thats looks like a military gun. And I can shot 7/8oz trap thruogh it and go all the way up to the 2oz turkey loads. LOVE this gun had it three years now and the only problem it the chokes are hard to change after its not used in a while, but the make a good tube changer for around 40 bucks.

Haven't had problems killin' greenies with this gun!!!!!

I bought a Browning 3.5" Gold Semi last year and after my first ND trip, I bought a Benelli Nova for a back up. I can hit with the Browning better than any gun I have ever shot, but I have major problems with its action after a day of heavy shooting. I even bring all my gun cleaning supplies along and it just seems like the dust puts it out of commision for a while. The Nova so far has been flawless. I have used it in sleet with busting ice with every pump and it just keeps on chucking.

I have used a few different ones and for me the all around gun that fits and is pretty versitile is the Beretta. I have an auto and it has the selectable eject where you can pull out the shell in the chamber and change it without unloading the gun completely. Good for the lone goose when you want to throw in the BB. I thought about getting a Nova as they are not too expensive but couldn't find one at that time still on sale. I use a bang up gun too for swamps. The Mossberg 835 ultimag pump shoots all sizes-2 3/4 - 3 1/2. It is not very pretty but works all day. Anyone looking to unload something that shoots all three I am looking for a replacement pump gun.

well have you considered the Fronchi my buddy has one and it is a real nice gun for the money. it is light and it can shoot the heaviest loads and the lightest skeet loads. Pretty light gun too. Also how bout the X2 or the Xtrema both great guns

If you want a wingmaster just do what I did, Buy a 870 exspress and put some finish on the stock/pump. Its the exact same gun but the woods not finished its just stained. The other only difference is the metal isent all shiny and polished, I like that cause the sun doesent glare off your gun. I can hit everything with my exspress. I even got a remington 1100 auto and I still shoot the exspress because I can hit alot of birds with it.

Big Drift, check out the Mossberg model 935.
It is an auto 3.5" that has had nothing but great reviews. And well under six bills!
The barrel diameter is the same as a 10 guage
(overbored)and supposedly gives you better patterns. Even offer the gun in camo patterns. I would check it out before buying!

Thanks for all the replies. The options are really amazing out there and it is more fun than fun than buying a new truck. I still haven't decided what to go with but I am still looking.

Not to start an argument, but the the express and wingmaster are more different than just finish. The working parts also have a rougher finish. Action not near as smooth. Have both and have examined the parts side by side. You can hear the difference if shot side by side. Still a good gun for the buck. Don't shoot either very much anymore. Shooting a nova for the 3.5" capability and just can't break away from my old model 11 when lead is in play.

------------------
-----------------
IBOT's # 17 & 248

I hunt with a bunch of people every year and the type of guns have changed every year it seams. We all went through the auto kick in our lives and everyone that I go with uses a pump just because of the reliability is better. Now for the brand it is almost a split between the Moss. 835 and the Nova. But the guys that got the Novas just got them last year. Other wise it has been mostly the Moss. Just because the versatility of the 3.5. I personally have the newer 835 with the ported barrel and camo patter. This is my second 835, the first I had for 4 years and never failed me once even after using it for a stick after falling in the slew. It came with 4 choke tubes including a factory extra full tube for turkeys. Which I might add is very good out to 50 yards, using 2 oz. 5 shot loads.

Just keep in mind that this is just my opinion and I'm not an expert by any streach of the emagination! But when you do get a gun make sure you shot it a lot and get used to the kick and how the swing it smoothly. And have fun shooting it.

I use an Rem. 1100 I bought in 1968 when I got out of the military and a Ruger Red Label O/U that I stole from a guy for $700 brand new in the box.
I've used side-by-sides and pumps as well. Savage 20 ga.s-b-s, Ithaca 37 20 ga pump, Winchester mod 12 in 16ga. & 12ga., Rem Wingmaster 12 ga.
The 1100 I use now is 2 3/4 and teh Ruger is 3 in. I find whatever you use a 12, 16 or 20 they will all kill ducks and geese just as dead if you get familiar with your weapon. Shoot those clays till your arm falls off. Load/shoot the right shell and make sure of your distance. I've always had a depth perception problem so I place one decoy out at 40 yards and shoot nothing further out. I have a rope cut at 40 yards that I use to measure.

Find a gun that fits you. Go to somebody that knows what they are talking about. Like Reeds Sporting Goods in Walker. I buy all of my guns from there. It is worth the trip from the cities.
Personally I love my X2. I also carry the Benelli Nova for back up.
Hey Set the Drag. If you are shooting alot with the Nova the barrel will heat up on you and lock your choke tube in. I had to have mine pounded out by a gun smith. Use some choke tube lube and you won't have a problem with it sticking any more. You can buy it anywhere guns are sold.
Just my thoughts. I'm not a pro.

------------------
Hunt Snow Geese, Save the tundra