• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

venison stew recipe

What I like to do is just improvise with the veggies and accompaniments. But the base recipe involves browning the venison (couple of pounds) in a big stock pot with a couple of tablespoons olive oil. Salt and pepper liberally.

Next, dump in three cups of beef broth. I use the low sodium kind that I make from the bullion base. Then add a cup of red wine. Throw in a sliced onion, a hearty tablespoon of minced garlic, two bay leaves, a dash of worschester sauce, a dash of allspice and a dash of paprika. Let it all simmer for 2 hours as low as you can go.

Then, I add in whatever veggies I want, let that simmer another half hour and then thicken it a bit with a little cornstarch whisked with cold water. Good luck!

2-4 Lbs. Moose, Venison, or lean chuck steak, trimmed and cubed.

2 tbs. butter

2 tbsp. olive oil

2 tbsp. Worcestershire sauce

4 cloves garlic, chopped

4 Serrano chilies, chopped, or use 2 jalapenos

1 tsp. pepper

6 cups beef broth

2 tbsp. flour

2 tbsp. butter

2 lbs. sliced mushrooms

1 (10 oz.) pkg frozen peas

1 (10 oz.) pkg frozen corn

3-4 diced carrots

12 pearl onions

2-3 diced parsnips

1-2 12 oz. cans of beer

1-2 tsp. salt

6 red potatoes

In a large pan, heat the butter and olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the meat in batches and brown evenly. When the meat is browned, add the Worcestershire sauce, garlic, Serrano peppers, and pepper. Reduce the heat and cover. In a large stock pot, melt the butter. Add half the mushrooms and cook until golden. Sprinkle in the flour, stirring well. Add the beef stock and stir until smooth. Add everything from the fry pan, the remaining mushrooms, peas, carrots, corn, onions, parsnips, and beer. Bring to a slow boil, reduce the heat and simmer for 1 hour. Taste for seasoning. Add red potatoes and cook 1 more hour. Add rue to thicken as needed.

This even better then next day

easy hunters stew

one pound of your venny, brown with a little montreal steak seasoning

one cup chopped red peppers

one cup chopped taters

1/2 cup chopped onions

1/2 cup chopped mushrooms

put all in a crock pot and poor can of tomato soup mixed with 1/2 can water over it and slow cook all day.

double everything for twice as much smile

My favorite venison stew recipe starts out with browing 1 lb or less bacon until it starts to crisp. remove the bacon then add the lightly floured cubed venison along with some chopped onion and garlic and brown it in the bacon grease. once brown i add a couple bottles of guiness and a couple beef bouillion cubes and a couple whole bay leaves when it starts to simmer ill add a big can of whole tomatoes. Let that simmer for 40 mins or so. ill stir it and decide if i need more liquid and if so ill add more beer or sometimes just water. to that ill add 3-4 cubed potatoes and 2-3 diced carrots, simmer another 30 mins or until potatoes are done. i then add 1/2 cup ketchup or chili sauce and when stirred up i add a small bag frozen peas and the crumbled bacon. stir it up, turn of the heat and is ready to serve in 10 minutes. just in time to get the flaky bisquits out of the oven