• RECEIVE THE GIFTS MEMBERS SHARE WITH YOU HERE...THEN...CREATE SOMETHING TO ENCHANT OTHERS THAT YOU WANT TO SHARE

You know what we all love...

When you enchant people, you fill them with delight and yourself in return. Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  
DaSwede

Goose Recipes

Going to start goose hunting next fall. Buddy of mine says there is no good way to cook a goose. I did a quick search on here, but didn't find anything. Any tips for a new guy?

Goose jerky is our favorite. Better than venison in our book!

Got a recipe for it that you'd care to share?

Chunk it up wrap with bacon grill to desired taste.

Cut into strips and soak in milk for an hour bake in oven at 300 or so for 25-30 min.

We use Lem or Gander mountain jerky seasoning. Dry packet that mixes into a liquid, either original or hot, (my preference), follow the directions for marinading or curing then we smoke on our trager pellet grill/smoker using mesquite pellets until it get to the dryness or consistency you desire. Yum! I may have to make another batch this weekend.

Also remember to cook goose like you would beef. Do not cook it like you would a turkey or chicken. Medium so the meat is still a little pink and it will be better.

We use Lem or Gander mountain jerky seasoning. Dry packet that mixes into a liquid, either original or hot, (my preference), follow the directions for marinading or curing then we smoke on our trager pellet grill/smoker using mesquite pellets until it get to the dryness or consistency you desire. Yum! I may have to make another batch this weekend.

Have you tried the grind and press method of jerkey with goose? or just strip?

Thanks,

B-

Goose breasts in crockpot with apple juice and a 1/8 cup molasses and salt to taste let slow cook.

Another one is plucked goose in roaster:

I typically will rub down with lowerys seasoned salt a few hours before roasting then I use 1/4 brown sugar,1/2 tsp. sage onions, apples and oranges inside cavity. rub brown sugar and sage inside cavity then place the rest inside. baste with melted butter and honey mixture.

Another way to do goose is:

2 goose breasts cut into 1 inch chunks

2 med onions, thinly sliced

2 16 0z pkgs. fresh mushrooms sliced

1 16 0z carton sour cream

1/4 cup white cooking wine

1/2 tsp. pepper

1/2 tsp. salt

1 tsp. dry mustard

3 T. butter

2 T. flour/corn starch

Marinate goose pieces overnight in Italian dressing

Melt 2T of butter in 4 quart casserole dish: add onions and mushrooms sauté. in a separate dish melt remaining butter at high heat and quickly sear goose pieces until brown( remaining red inside) Add goose salt pepper mustard and wine to the onions and mushroom mixture. slowly add sour cream, stir on low heat, until thoroughly mixed. mix flour or corn starch with a bit of water to for thickening mixture. Do not boil.

Serve over egg noodles

Also remember to cook goose like you would beef.

Yep. Personally, I think goose is waaay better than duck.

Fajitas are always a favorite. Here is the marinade I use. Soak goose breasts for a couple hours and then grill

1/4 Cup Olive oil

1/4 Cup lime juice

Tons of chopped garlic

2 Tablespoons cumin

2 Tablespoons coarse salt (Kosher)

1 Tablespoon Pepper

2 Tablespoons Mexican Oregano

1 teaspoon cayenne

2 Tablespoons tequila

You could fool people into thinking it's steak.

you guys are making my mouth water.....good stuff!

I like mine on the grill with montreal steak seasoning on it....grill to medium rare, crack an adult beverage and dig in.

I have a friend who smokes the breasts...they are awesome. I'll try and get the recipe to post.

you guys are making my mouth water.....good stuff!

I like mine on the grill with montreal steak seasoning on it....grill to medium rare, crack an adult beverage and dig in.

I have a friend who smokes the breasts...they are awesome. I'll try and get the recipe to post.

That would be great. I'll have the smoker going quite a bit this summer!!!

OK, talked to my buddy. Heres the recipe he uses in smoking the goose breasts....I'm sure there are lots of other recipies others use too.

5-6 lbs of breasts - sometimes he goes as high as 9 lbs.

1/4 cup soy sauce

3/4 cup wor[PoorWordUsage]ire (spelling)

2 cups water

1 1/2 to 2 cups apple cider vinegar

2 cups brown sugar

2/3 table spoons minced garlic

1/2 cup pickling salt

One packet of High Mountain Jerky Mix for ducks/geese.

Let the breasts "fester" in the brine for a minimum of 12 hrs. He goes as long as 36 hrs. Use a plastic bowl/large zip lock bag.

He says you can use liquid smoke, but be careful as the liquid smoke does go a long way and you may over power desired taste you want.

Set up your smoker. He uses apple, hickory, etc. Get to the correct internal temp desired...finish off in the oven if you need to. he gets to an internal temp of 160'F. Be careful to not let the breasts get too dry, smoke too long.

I think the smoking part of the process that is key. He said you got to experiment with the smoking time/temp to get it right.

He gets the breasts to medium rare "doneness". Get the smoked breasts in food saver bags, suck out the air, store in the fridge.

Slice the breasts in bite size portions. Add a cracker and a good slice of cheese, an adult beverage - Enjoy!

Let me know how it goes....I'm looking to update my smoker now. Gotta decide on what one to get.

I didn't read every response so I may be repeating but...

Very simple way would be to cut the breasts into strips, cook in the crockpot with some BBQ sauce and a little seasoning, serve as BBQ sandwiches. I've done this numerous times and haven't been disappointed yet.

If you are going to have quantity, then bringing the meat in to have processed is good. I've had goose brats, sausage, jalapeno cheese summer sausage, etc. But again, quantity is required for this tactic, unless you pool your meat with friends.

I do the crock pot as well. Leave the breasts in there all day and they fall apart, wife and kids love it.

I have also enjoyed it this way. I put it in the crock pot and pour in beef stock ( not bullion) and a bit of red wine and let it go all day on low. Also have had beer sticks made at Von hansons very good!

Louise's meat in cumberland wi does a great job with goose meat as well. Also mcdonalds meats in clearwater does a good job as well anything from hotdogs to summer sausage to snack sticks it all turns out good.