• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

The 2013 Masters

CANOPY SAM

1966 Phil Rodges used a 39.5 inch putter anchored to win on PGA tour

1968 USGA outlaws side saddle or croquette style putting

1983 Charlie Owens uses a 51" putter on the champion tour because of his bad knees

and this is the best one:

1987 Johnny Miller, yes that Johnny Miller, uses a 46" putter to Pebble Beach but he anchored it against his forearm.....

The USGA and PGA have had many years to ban this, how long had Sam Snead used his side saddle approach to putting before the USGA outlawed it? I doubt it was 45 years

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Who should I pick for my top 8 finishers? I'm going to pick Tiger, KJ, and Dustin Johnson. Who are the five remaining picks I should go with? How about the Kuch? Stricker? I'm not picking Phil (not playing well enough and I agree with the above- he'll tank at least one round this year) so who else should I pick???

Is it scaling back the equipment because of the players or is it scaling back the equipment because the golfers are so good they are basically overpowering every course they play with. Take a look at #4 at Augusta. Its a 240 yard Par 3! In the interviews yesterday when asked, players said they would probably be hitting a 3 or 4 iron into this. Absolutely insane. There are guys out there now hitting a 6 iron into greens from 210 out. Phil is striping his new 3 wood just under 300. 20 years ago a 300 yard drive was basically a freak act. Now when the PGA sets up a course for a tournament, they are getting longer and longer. What was that long Par 5 at Olympic last year? 620 yards or something along those lines? Maybe thats why I absolutely love the US Open. Anytime a tournament is won with a score not far from even par, to me it says the course was insanely hard and the players had to use all of their golf ability to shoot well. Every tournament should be setup that way IMHO....they are pros, make it challenging to them.

Keep in mind the TV does not do the elevation changes justice. #4 has at least a 40-50 foot drop, tee to green. Also, the pro's clubs are custom "bent" (delofted) so their 5 iron is closer to a standard 4 or 3. Watched several groups tee off their yesterday and some of the smaller/older guys use hybrids on that tee. I would use 3 wood an hope a had a good place to chip from.

As for Phil, he was dead on with the new 3-driver yesterday, so that may take care of a lot of loose tee shots.

Watching the pros work the greens just reminded me who ever is on with the putter will win.

Canopy, where were you yesterday with the Big Carl suggestion?!? laugh I'd have gone with him, but I didn't think of it. I think he's a really good sleeper pick. Like 10K said above, to win anything it seems like you almost have to pick a sleeper or two and hope they do well. If you don't, your entry tends to look a whole lot like a bunch of the others...

Oh geez! As it pertains to an earlier thread regarding gallery noise, as I was just watching the Golf Channel with a live interview on the course, two guys walked by behind the camera each carrying a large glass of beer in each hand. It's 08:30 a.m. at Augusta right now, and they're already into the two-fisted beverage participation.

Not knocking enjoying a cold beverage, but at 8:30 in the morning? whistle

Gonna get a little noisy this afternoon. laugh

Whoops, my bad. I miscalculated that time. It's actually 10:30 a.m. at Augusta right now. I guess the air is just right for drinking then! smile

For all the iPad/iPhone users out there, if you download the MASTERS 13 app, it streams the live coverage. Watched the entire ESPN coverage of the Par 3 contest yesterday and am watching the guys come through the course RIGHT NOW!!! Loving this. Soon as ESPN picks up the coverage, you can sign in with your local cable account and stream their entire coverage.

BTW..............PHIL OR DJ WILL WIN THIS TOURNAMENT!!!! True story! smile

As I'm watching discussion, commentary, and an occasional glimpse of a player live on the course (on the Golf Channel), I can't help but wonder why aren't they currently providing live coverage of the players right now?

All the support folks are there. All the cameras are set up and rolling. Why am I only seeing people jabbering about the game, while the game is currently being played?

Is this a "paid coverage" thing? The big networks reserve exclusive coverage of the event? It's not currently being broadcast on any of the major networks, or ESPN or ESPN2?

As arguably the biggest sporting event in the world right now, why wouldn't we be watching live coverage televised from hole #1 to hole #72?

We should be thankful as Augusta National has loosened its coverage up a bit over the years from what it once was. I understand the frustration but their business model does seem to work quite well.

Quote:
Why?

My pic-em boards and side bets reflect the need for Rory to do well or at least cover all the Tiger band-wagon jumpers in this event...

smile

Oh geez! As it pertains to an earlier thread regarding gallery noise, as I was just watching the Golf Channel with a live interview on the course, two guys walked by behind the camera each carrying a large glass of beer in each hand. It's 08:30 a.m. at Augusta right now, and they're already into the two-fisted beverage participation.

Not knocking enjoying a cold beverage, but at 8:30 in the morning? whistle

Gonna get a little noisy this afternoon. laugh

Whoops, my bad. I miscalculated that time. It's actually 10:30 a.m. at Augusta right now. I guess the air is just right for drinking then! smile

you can't spend the entire day drinking if you don't start in the morning

As I'm watching discussion, commentary, and an occasional glimpse of a player live on the course (on the Golf Channel), I can't help but wonder why aren't they currently providing live coverage of the players right now?

All the support folks are there. All the cameras are set up and rolling. Why am I only seeing people jabbering about the game, while the game is currently being played?

Is this a "paid coverage" thing? The big networks reserve exclusive coverage of the event? It's not currently being broadcast on any of the major networks, or ESPN or ESPN2?

As arguably the biggest sporting event in the world right now, why wouldn't we be watching live coverage televised from hole #1 to hole #72?

I dunno... the streaming coverage online is preventing me from being very productive at work today.

It's so green there

Quote:
least cover all the Tiger band-wagon jumpers in this event...

That's me!!!!! I never pick Tiger but my option was either him, Phil or Rory on our top tier pick.

And Augusta won't put up with any yelling stupid things will they? I hope not.

Quote:

It's a bummer but I don't think they have ever showed the first two rounds live. They will be starting the replay at 3pm on ESPN.

Sergio is rockin' while Bubba is suckin' air!

Could Augusta look anymore beautiful right now?

Rory is getting aggressive while Tiger is just plodding along?

Geez I love this game!

The 14 yr. old amateur is playing a pretty impressive round. 14! shocked