• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

The 2013 Masters

CANOPY SAM

I'm sitting here watching the Golf Channel, and listening to an interview with Rory Mackelroy.

As per our earlier discussions and topics, it's kind of humorous how many questions pointed at Rory also include Tiger Woods as part of the scenario. smile

Obviously this is due to Tiger being #1 and Rory being #2, but I would think it a little insulting that another golfer is the focus of an interview with me. But that's just me.

I'm really excited about this tourney. Tiger is back in good form, Rory is playing well, and there should be a very healthy competitive bracket come Sunday morning. I wish Phil was playing a little better, but one never knows when Phil will suddenly pull his game back on track!

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And thankfully we get to stare at the TV to see the greenest grass in the world and a whole bunch of blooming plants and flowers and during commercials, peek outside to see snow!! Augusta is probably in the greatest stage in all of sports because of the history, beauty, etc... but it will be painful to have to see that beauty and possibly still have to shovel here!

Should be a great tourney. I am not a Tiger fan, but at least if he is in the mix down the stretch I will get to see shots form the leading groups. If he is middle of the pack, you'll spend a lot of Sunday seeing him strive to finish 20th and see only half of the leading groups shots.

...I am not a Tiger fan, but at least if he is in the mix down the stretch I will get to see shots form the leading groups. If he is middle of the pack, you'll spend a lot of Sunday seeing him strive to finish 20th and see only half of the leading groups shots.

Man, isn't that the truth! I love it when the highlights of the tourney are seven shots from 20th place Tiger Woods and one shot of the winner of the tourney tapping in a one footer to win.

This should be fun to watch. My wife really, really wants to go to the Masters some time, so I'll have to hear her talk about that for the next couple weeks. Man, it'd sure be fun to go...

Scoot,

the terrain at Augusta would give you a good start at conditioning for elk hunting. I prefer watching it on tv but tv doesn't do justice to the elevations you'd be hiking up and down if you went. Some of the area around it is kind of dumpy.

I'm obviously in the minority of the average tv audience guy and I too would rather not watch Tiger.

You're a lucky guy if your wife wants to go, Scoot! That's 90% of the battle you've already won. Now all you gotta do is work out the finances. Oh, and getting tickets might be a little tricky. wink

Georgia is an interesting state to say the least. I love the little coastal cities, and all the fresh seafood joints! Arguably some of the friendliest people in the country too!

Wish I was there eating hot, smokey BBQ right now, and enjoying that warm spring sunshine. cool Hey, a guy can always dream, can't he?

Someone correct me if I am wrong, but there isn't a waiting list for the Masters tickets anymore. They did away with it as it was just too big. Unless you know someone who has corporate tickets, go through a ticket broker or scapler, the only other way I know is to register at master dot com and put yourself on a recall list for people who turn their tickets back in.

Watching the news they were saying that a 4 day gate pass to the Masters was running right around $4600 and scalpers were turning around and selling them for almost double the value.

Hardest sporting event in the world to get tickets to. Thats including the superbowl.

If you want tickets, I can get you in touch with a scalper, it is his only job and he is verrrry good at what he does. It won't be cheap, better cash in your 401k

a person who can hit a draw consistantly (or fade for a lefty) has an advantage at Augusta, many of the shots require it.........

My dark horse in this years race is gonna be Ted Potter Jr., great kid, calm kid, nothing seems to rattle him (not dead like duffner) but he can play the draw and can tune things out. He has been down there practicing and getting ready for a couple weeks now. Phil will either blow up on Saturday or implode on Friday. Tiger I think is ready to step on the neck of everyone else and make Augusta reconsider making more changes to the course...

I have a $10 bet that Bubba makes the cut, I kind of think he won't make it, but it sounded good at the time last week

My Dad played Augusta in the early '70s, and the golf towel he brought back with him graced my bag until it was a tattered remnant 10 years later.

I was a golf addict, and finally I gave it up. But I still live for the Masters and the British Open. Those two.

Will Tiger be in the running? I don't care. Every time I watch the Masters I remember how it felt to wipe off my Titleists with the Masters towel my Dad brought home. For more than 35 years I've been pasted to the TV when the Masters was on. I'm 51 now, and don't have a lot of money. So I may never get to play Augusta.

But I'll be there this coming weekend. You can bet on it.

For the simple reason of a player needing to be creative and shape shots, I never stray away from picking Phil to win. Not a more creative mind in the game and if he plays solid, doesn't implode on Sunday like last year, he will be right in it.

Don't think Bubba will defend, but I believe he makes the cut and has a good performance. Like Phil, the guy can come up with some crazy off the wall shots.

Tiger has to be the odds on favorite, with Rory not far behind, but I don't think Rory will even make the first page of the leaderboard. Had a good tournament last week, but hasn't done jack for the rest of the year. One week doesn't make a Masters champion.

My darkhorse pick is Dustin Johnson. Would love to see him come through and put on the green jacket.

I'm not sure he's got the stuff to do it, but I'd like to see Matt Kucher pull this one out.

He seems like a pretty cool guy, and "Kooch" is definitely a big fan favorite. I'd wager the galleries would be going crazy if Matt were to eek out a lead and hold it thru Sunday.

Lots of discussion and commentary today on possible future rule changes in regard to high performance equipment, and what can or cannot be used at the professional level. Sounds like the PGA is starting to move on this.

Seems a number of people are against the long putters (anchor putters), new "longer" balls, and monster head drivers. Some are saying the players with less club head speed are "handicapped" in comparison to the really long ball hitters.

Interesting discussion. Seems to me, if everyone is allowed access to the same equipment, whether it's the best available stuff, or just the middle of the road equipment, as long as everyone has the same stuff, no one is going to have any more advantage over the next guy.

If you can't generate the same club head speed as the next guy, that's simply a measure of skill and athleticism, not necessarily equipment, and as such it's a little lame to say the other guy has to use lower quality equipment in order to level the playing field.

I think the same holds true with a putter. I don't think Phil continues to use an old style blade putter because it's nostalgic and he wants to maintain the "essence" of the game, all the while increasing his score because of sub-standard equipment. He uses this putter because it's what he's most comfortable with, and what he feels is most affective for his game. If another player feels he improves HIS game (putting) with an anchor putter, it's a choice, a preference, not an advantage.

But of course, I've been proven wrong before..... laugh

Is it scaling back the equipment because of the players or is it scaling back the equipment because the golfers are so good they are basically overpowering every course they play with. Take a look at #4 at Augusta. Its a 240 yard Par 3! In the interviews yesterday when asked, players said they would probably be hitting a 3 or 4 iron into this. Absolutely insane. There are guys out there now hitting a 6 iron into greens from 210 out. Phil is striping his new 3 wood just under 300. 20 years ago a 300 yard drive was basically a freak act. Now when the PGA sets up a course for a tournament, they are getting longer and longer. What was that long Par 5 at Olympic last year? 620 yards or something along those lines? Maybe thats why I absolutely love the US Open. Anytime a tournament is won with a score not far from even par, to me it says the course was insanely hard and the players had to use all of their golf ability to shoot well. Every tournament should be setup that way IMHO....they are pros, make it challenging to them.

All they have to do is use common sense and a tip from Jack..... "its all in the ball man."

I need Rory to win and fully expect him to do so by a large margin. I wouldn't mind Tiger winning but with just about the entire world giving it to him I see a 10th place finish out of him.

One other thing they are not banning long putters you can use them if you want. They are banning anchoring any putter against your body.

Angel Cabrera won the Masters with a long putter while not anchoring it, so that will be legal if the anchoring ban goes into effect.

Personally I lean towards Rory and Tigers view that they should be banned. I just believe that the art of putting is swinging the club naturally and free-ly. Also it's a better image for the game of golf, skill and nerves are all part of the game. Level the playing field!

I need Rory to win
Why? Not being contrary or argumentative, just curious.

Rory is a really gifted player, but he always seems kind of smug when he wins. I have a hard time backing somebody that doesn't have at least a little humility. But I guess that's got to be expected to some extent from someone so young, with so much talent.

I think that's why guys like Matt Kuchar, and Phil Mickelson are so popular with the people. No matter whether they win or lose, they're still so gosh darn likeable.

Quote:
Personally I lean towards Rory and Tigers view that they should be banned. I just believe that the art of putting is swinging the club naturally and free-ly. Also it's a better image for the game of golf, skill and nerves are all part of the game. Level the playing field!

Agreed, the guys that are too “handsy” or “wristy” need to work on their game instead of using an anchor as a crutch to make up for their shortcomings.

I also agree with Musky18 above. These courses should be set up for par golf and let the best guy win. Way more entertaining than seeing a guy win with a -25 score.

I think the time for banning putters was 40 years ago when they first appeared. Doing so now, makes it look quite suspicious. Having said that, I agree, anchoring a putter should not be allowed, although I did just buy a Cleveland "Almost Belly" putter, no kidding that is the name, it is a heavy headed putter with a 39" length, which is just perfect for me.....My brother in law who is 5'9" can anchor it against his belly, as did our caddie at Sawgrass. He thought I used it as an anchored putter until we got to the first green.

KJ Choi, he is always sniffing around the top 10, maybe this is his year?

I'd agree with all comments above. You guys would make good lawyers.

Have anchored putters been around for 40 years? I didn't know that. I've never even tried one. Seems like it would take a lot of "feel" out of the putt?

They'll be taking to the course at this time tomorrow!!! Woohoo!!! laugh