• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

NE 2013 Hunt

Hoyt4

Sorry this will not be the best report. I'm swamped at work and have a few minutes to get something posted. This year was another great year in NE.

We did not get down to NE till Monday April first two days later then planned but some things came up and we thought it was better to head down Monday. We also did not get to go down for our annual scouting trip so that also did not help with losing a day of hunting to scouting. So I did feel a little rushed I usualley will get out to a couple public land spots that we have shot a ton of birds off and look for sheds were we deer hunt. So I was a little bummed out about that.

I'm not the best at writing this stuff up or talking about it but this hunt was even more special. My old man had a stroke a couple months ago and we were not sure he was going to make the hunt. So this one meant more then most. I dropped him off at his spot to hunt and made sure there was another hunter from our group there each day if I was not. You know he wanted to show he was ok to hunt but I still had questions in my mind. The entire trip I was just remembering hunts and thinking how lucky I was to have him on the hunt. I have four friends who have lost there fathers over the last year. We are getting to the age this will happen and is going to happen which sucks and hate to think about it. So I just started thinking how lucky I was that he is out and doing what he loves do and teach kids.

So to the hunt the birds seemed different on some of the land we were hunting some birds broke up into smaller groups of 20 to 30 and on other land still in groups of 100 to 200 birds. We got out on Monday to do more scouting then hunting but did get into birds that evening but no shots. We setup blinds for the next morning. First morning was great gobbling on the roost then once they hit the ground nothing. So we all meet up for breakfast each day it's just something we do so we can talk share stories of the morning hunt and if any succes they get breakfast bought for them.

So we head back to camp and get some groceries and shoot a few arrows at camp. Head back out for the afternoon hunt and the plan for me was to head out and not go to the blind but go and locate the birds. I get there and some birds are already out on this open pasture and I'm stuck on the maintance road and can only wait for them to leave. Once they left I got off the road and into a creek bottom so I could get back with nothing seeing me. I'm hunting a section of land so I have a mile walk back were I want to go were I could hear gobbling in the morning.

Nebraska20132008_zpsbafd565f.jpg

Once I made it back without spooking any birds and hunted my way back. I would just sit on top and listen for gobbling or crows going off. From hunting NE over the years this early and birds are not as vocal on the ground. If you find the crows you find the turkeys. These crows here just pester the heck out of the turkeys. Dive at them and call above them all the time.

Nebraska20132006_zps6f1aa4cb.jpg

So I get back and could not get a bird to gobble or hear any hens going. So next best thing was the crows going nuts in a valley I've shot a few birds in. So I made my way to that low spot and just took my time going in. I get half way down the hill and I can hear scratching so I use the cedars to my advantage and sneak all the way down and you can see the hens feeding towards me. I have to get out of the cedars and to a spot I can maybe get a shot so I crawl the rest of the way just below a nob in the hill. Get to that spot and peak over then I see a strutter. Get all setup pick leaves away where I had my bow placed because it was so dry there and load. Just keep peaking over and here comes the birds. The only problem was the gobbler was so far back from the hens I could see and the hens were almost to me. After the hens fed for a bit and worked their way to me the strutter finally broke was coming. I had ranged a log at 40 yds so if he gets to that log of past it's all good. But now I can see 6 or 7 hens in front of me but hearing scratching just over the little hill that is hiding most my boddy but the top of my body and getting closer. I was starting to think it was not going to happen. Then one of the 7 hens below me now is only 5 yds from me and working up to me. This was going to be a tough to pull off. The strutter has now moved to 40 yds but I have some limbs from some dead trees in the way. Trying to watch the hen at 5yds and the strutter was getting tough at the same time. Finally he made it to 35 and out of the limbs. The hen that is now only feet away turned and feed down hill so I just went for it. Got to full draw and nothing putted or spooked I was amazed and really thought it was not going to work. I set the pin right on the strutter and drill him at 35 yds and he drops right there. I stand up and the birds I heard scratching over the hill are bedded and didn't even spook till I started walking. End up being around 20 birds from what I could tell all hens but could of been another jake in the mix. My bird was missing tail feathers. 18lb jake down.

Nebraska2013006_zpsa8fd83e9.jpg

Nebraska2013011_zpsfaeb9fab.jpg

So the tough bird is out of the way.The best part of it was my dad shot almost at the exact same time 3 miles away.

Nebraska2013009_zps2ef7eec9.jpg

20lb double beard long beard.

My goal was to take both birds without my blind but man it was getting tough. The Cedars which are blessing for getting close to birds are also evil at times. I had so many birds around me that I called in or stalk into at 5 yds at times but could not get shots through the branches or just too close to get drawn. There was so much to the hunt.

We did find a few sheds and a lot of the dead bodies of the deer that died of blue tongue. Take a look at the shed photo and it's all left sides.

IMG950157_zps4d3a5a58.jpg

Ton of the big bucks died the nats would get into the velvet and that is how the bucks got sick. Here are just a few. All pope and young bucks.

photo_zps0e8c84fc.jpg

photo_zps7d181266.jpg

This buck made it to October but still died from the sickness.

photo_zps5c2aa757.jpg

One from a friend we hunt with there in NE. I missed this buck the year before bowhunting deer.

Dianasbluetounge003.jpg

Even the yotes and critters would not eat the dead deer. You would see hides and they just looked like carpet laid out nothing ripped into them at all.

Finally my dad and I did get to hunt together. The best was the very last morning on Saturday we went to a place that was holding some birds and were able to pull a double. We pulled in the hens and two Jakes followed up at first they would not come. Once we got the boss hen to bust up to us they came also. I was letting my dad be the shooter. First bird made it to 12yds and he smoked him jumped up and dropped at about 30yds. The second bird went and stood over him and my dad ranged the bird at 30 I put the pin right on his chest when he gobbled and he almost swallowed my arrow double complete. It was an unreal feeling to have done this my dad. I have shot many doubles with my dad from Elk to turkeys but this one even got me a little choked up. Sorry no pics because we had to get back to break camp but this hunt was great. Sorry I didn't have more time to add more of the hunt. Here are a few more pictures.

This is my spot I shot my first bird from you can see my bow in the pic.

Nebraska2013004_zps7ab80f38.jpg

View to the shot

Nebraska2013003_zps541af759.jpg

From the birds view.

Nebraska2013002_zps3e7fb7c0.jpg

Nebraska20132007_zps2da1c50d.jpg

Got to about 15 yards from this deer.

Nebraska20132005_zps4ceb9583.jpg

Nebraska20132004_zpsc6a04a05.jpg

Nebraska20132003_zps2181d46f.jpg

This was a youth hunter he got his first . It was very cool so we took his photo what a great bird for your first. We weighed it 20lbs with an awesome beard for down there.

photo_zpsafcf9bb2.jpg

Great place to take a kid hunting tag is only $6. He was only 6 years old.

Great story, great hunt. Congrats to you and your Dad.

I'll be taking my Dad hunting again this year. He's going to be 90. We got him a bird last year, hoping for similar success again. Just don't know how many years you get to hunt together.

Sounds like you had a great trip Hoyt! And to be able to spend it with your dad - even better! Nice job with all the pics and sharing your hunt - loved seeing that 6 yr old with the facepaint and bird hanging. I could look at this stuff all day. That's crazy on the left side sheds!!! Did you find those EHD deer or were those pics from the landowners? That area was really hit hard last summer and fall. All this moisture is helping. Congrast on your birds!

Thanks it was a great time. Just wish I was not home yet. We might make one more quick trip down for a weekend. All I can say is I cannot wait till I have a shotgun in my hands these birds are in trouble.

I did get to see my first bobcat in the wild it was stalking me sitting in a cedar so that was really cool. Also one in our group had a Red tail hawk pick up his decoy and take it for a ride only held on for a few yards.

Sounds like you had a great trip Hoyt! And to be able to spend it with your dad - even better! Nice job with all the pics and sharing your hunt - loved seeing that 6 yr old with the facepaint and bird hanging. I could look at this stuff all day. That's crazy on the left side sheds!!! Did you find those EHD deer or were those pics from the landowners? That area was really hit hard last summer and fall. All this moisture is helping. Congrast on your birds!

The dead heads are what the land owner had hanging in their trees. It's so dry down there you would walk through the grass and dust was coming up. Never seen the river so low and water was not were it usually should be. They only got a few inches of snow and the last big rain was when we left turkey camp last spring.They are suppose to get some rain now. All the snow storms missed this area all winter only a few inches of snow here and there.

That's all about to change! Been raining/sleeting/ice pellets for the past few days and now accumulating snow! Go figure, the day we leave and this is the most updated forecast - great driving & camping weather eh? That's what I get for giving Powerstroke a hard time with the weather when he left! cry

Quote:
Wednesday Night

Overcast with snow. Low of 23F. Breezy. Winds from the North at 15 to 20 mph. Chance of snow 100% with accumulations up to 6 in. possible.

Thanks! Might be needing the cheater pipe this weekend I'm afraid. Those gravel roads down there don't handle up very well with a bunch of moisture - the chain & towrope are packed! And the blind heaters too! All in a day's life of a diehard turkey hunter! smile

So true.

Unreal how bad the dirt roads get with snow and rain. Nothing wrong with old pipe bomb. I know I will have that in hand next weekend. Friend just put down a 25lb turkey today for WI opener.