• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

I know that Delta waterfowl did and is continuing to study this problem. There was an article in one of the past magazines that addressed it. Try as I might I can't seem to dig it up though (lack of organization)so I apologize for the lack of specifics. The conclusion of the research was that the problem is multi faceted. It seems that lakeshore development is not giving enough resting waters for the birds, the shrimp ponds being infested by minnows and they had something on the boreal forest that I can't remember. I believe the article stated that biggest reason bag limits have gone down is because of the resting areas though. The birds are just being pushed through too fast to allow good hunting opportunities. (someone correct me if I am confusing this with other research...I read too much!)

Big...you are correct that we do take a lot more rings than we do Bill's but it all depends on the weather!
If we get a good cold push from the north, the Bills come down by the numbers. That usally happens in the last 2 weeks of hunting and the lake we hunt on seems to freeze up pretty quick! If you really want some top notch Bill hunting try Lake Vermillion...I have shot some HUGE lacy back Bills up there, but then again, we need a lot of cold weather to push them down!

The problem has notnin to do w/minnows! Walleyes reared in a pond will reduce the # of shrimp.

That gets me to another subject on the DNR. Went to this old guys place one day to see if I'd get access to trap minnows on his pond. He told me they leased it for 2 yrs for rearing walleyes, and how he was hoping they wouldn't get all the fry out. He figured if they left a few he might have his private honey hole. Well they happened to show up that day w/boat, trailers, nets. Well for approx 5hrs. we watched them they never did pull a net. They never even unloaded it, nor did they back the boat into the pond. Fact is they only got out of the truck when they had to take a leak and after they left we found beer cans down there. If the tape I had of it didn't burn in house fire I'd love to post it here. Well that day I got permisson to trap in 2 yrs, was only good for angling eyes. BTW went to office next day and asked them how it went on that pond they said "run 2 pulls with the net and got nothing, probably just didn't take." So now you know why it cost the DNR so much to produce a 3" walleye fingerling.

------------------
GRIZ

griz,
The problem has nothing to do with minnows???
How crazy is that statement. There are far more wetlands in MN with minnows, than walleye rearing ponds. The small percentage of walleye rearing ponds is not more of a reason for duck declines than minnows infiltrating wetlands. I don't buy it for one second.

And I refuse to believe your accusations of the DNR at that rearing pond. No way!

I also can't believe the statement about minnows having nothing to do with it.

Fathead minnows ARE introduced into wetlands by comercial bait companies, and fatheads ARE some of the most voracious feeders out there.

If you are a minnow trapper like you claim to be, you know the truth. You do not need to hide it here.

Chuck, I know of a few too, one in particular is Kenogamma by Winni. Used to be absolutely LOADED with shrimp. What did the DNR do? STOCKED IT WITH WALLEYE!!!
The darn lake is only 8 feet deep MAX. Used to load up on bills, now NOTHING...or very little. Not to mention the way the road got chewed up once people found out there were tons of walleye in there...can't even get back there anymore...right Chuck? grin.gif

[This message has been edited by Tom Herman (edited 06-14-2004).]

Man, I can't believe it ...I think this is my 1st posting in here. Anyway, I grew up chasing ducks in SE MN on the Miss. (reno bottoms) and in the Alex area...back in the 70's you would see hundreds of bills come through in waves, now pretty much zip-o.

I think Tom is right on with the bait dealers and 'eye rearing ponds. I know of a small lake in the Alex area, it's private, that is used for duck hunting. The bills would zoom that lake all day....one of the landowners allowed the DNR to stock the lake with small walleyes for rearing, the water level came up and now it's a walleye lake...oops on the DNR's part?? It was a marginal lake because of winter kills. The water level has negated that and now it's consider a fishing lake and oh yeah, the duck hunting is pathetic!

I'm sure that this is partially responsible for the drop in divers following the Miss. river through SE MN. Not sure?? Nav

------------------
Jon Navratil
Navigator Guide Service
www.naviguides.com
Central MN rivers & lakes

(I just saw this now, Tom)

Yes, Keno... What a shame! The road is tore to pieces from all fishing traffic. I got stuck pretty bad 2 falls ago scouting for the ducks. Not a good place to get stuck....alone... smile.gif

There are so many lakes like this it is unbelievable!!