• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Ducks- Sure are fun to watch!!

That is awesome. Hopefully that will be a little hint that this duck season will be a positive one. Where are you located? My friends and I love driving around and identifying spring ducks in full plumage, nothing better. We have seen Ruddy ducks, Shovelers; two of my favorites, wood ducks, bwt, mallards, merganzers, geese, bluebills, and ringbills. Have yet to spot a canvasback, that would be really cool to see a diver like that. Maybe he will appear this fall over the dekes!

Since it was raining all stinking Memorial weekend, we got plenty of time in to sit and watch the ducks out of our trailer house this weekend.

Couple interesting things.

-This is the first year we've ever had Canvasbacks on our lake. We counted as many as 11 with half being big drakes. Dad says they've been hanging around there for about 2 weeks now. Occasionally we'd spot a drake Ringneck with them. Too cool!

-Two of our duck boxes are being used by Hooded Mergansers. The one has a routine. She'll land in the lake in front of our trailer, dip her head into the water about 5-6 times and then jump up on the dock and sit there for a couple minutes. Looks like she is drying off. Then she'll take off and fly a big loop over the lake and come in right over the trailer and head into the one house. First time it looked pretty odd and then she kept doing it over and over.

-Also have a couple nesting pairs of Blue Wing Teal and 2 families of Canadian Geese now.

We've seen more waterfowl around the cabin this year than probably the last 10.

FlowageTamer,

Our lake cabin is in NW Minnesota. We get the ducks up there but this is a little unusual to see them at this time of year. The canvasbacks are absolutely gorgeous right now. You can spot them from across the lake they are so white. Quite a site when they do a flyby!

Well at least it sounds like you had something to entertain you on an overall miserable Memorial Day weekend...lot of people probably disappointed as they drag themselves back to work today after not getting much fun in because of the weather. I plan on seeing some cans this fall, and hopefully getting a shot at a big bull to put on the wall.

can't wait for the season

S.A

Cans are awesome ducks arn't they. I have seen more ducks and geese this spring return then I ever have. Its a great sight, lets hope we see them this fall. The St. Louis, Lk Superior and bays were loaded. Lots of bills and blue wings. All this rain, fog, wind and cool weather has got me all worked up for duck hunting, cant wait.