• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Brown spots on grass from dog

TRice

What does eveyone do to prevent their dog from killing all the grass in the yard? I do not have any areas in my yard without grass, so she will be using the yard all the time to relieve herself.

There has been a thread on this before. Lots of recommendations. You may be able to find the old thread. My experience is they don't really work but might be worth a try. For myself, I don't really care what my lawn looks like and I just consider it a part of owning a dog but i'm sure i'm in the minority on that thought. My neighbor has tried all the tricks and methods with his dog with little success. Last summer, he kept a watering can on his deck and would dilute the spot each time his dog went. Seemed like a hassle to me but it had fair results. Good luck!

Your best bet is to try to train the dog to go in one area to do it's business. Yellow spots and dark green spots are a fact of life for dog owners. The good thing is it's grass and it'll grow back. Keep some grass seed around too and sprinkle some on after you've watered the area heavily a few times.

I made an area around a big silver maple (so he has a target). Put down pea rock (no pun intended) and some field stone to make it look nice. That's where he does he pees. He won't go #2 (I guess p00p is a bad word on here) in there though.

I have had good luck with gypsum/lime stuff. I just buy the big bag of it at any big box store and spread it in the areas that my 2 dogs frequently go.

This. Its not foolproof, but it definitely helps. Lots of water to dilute everything helps as well.

Like said above, gypsum helps. I also run my sprinkler system about an hour before my dogs go out for their first bathroom run. The water helps dilute the urine some. The first time they go in the morning seems to cause the most lawn damage so any dilution due to wet soil seems to help.

I also keep my lawn cut to a little higher length. The grass seems more tolerant to urine when its longer.