• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

pike lures

what are some cheap but good lures for pike. i blew my budget on a trailer for this summer and i went through my pike box and some how there all rusted bad. mostly raps but i cant afford to replace many of them thanks

I usually start with a 5in kicker shad by storm, just a soft plastic swimbait really. but I like the weight of this particular one cause I can cover a lot of different lake area and depth with just it.

The first time using it actually, I took a friend who doesn't fish up north. Not 30sec after launching I said, "ok im gona catch the biggest northern you have ever seen." I dropped it right over the side to check the depth, about 20ft, and as soon as it hit bottom I got a 33in. By no means a biggie but it was the biggest he had seen!!! lol

You can get a 3 or 4 pack in walmart for like 5bucks.

Other than that I like husky jerks, the suspending kind. And then spinners.

The original daredevle is my go to pike lure. I switched out my hooks for an open-eye (siwash) gamakatsu big river bait 6/0 hook with the barb crushed down. Much like the custom spoons Jack Penny sells, the cool looking shape of the hook holds fish on better. I either add spinnerbait skirt, or when that gets bittten off while fishing, I add a "hoochie" which is a crappie plastic jig.

When I fish pike I fish big lures. I find that cuts out some of those hammerhandles and does not cut out the medium size fish. And it certainly helps on the >30" fish. A crankbait in that 8" range is about right. the smallest I go is a Original Floating Rap in size 18. Inline spinnerbaits are good as well as regular spinnerbaits.

I agree, just replace your hooks though for the cheapest alternative.

I always start with a eed and white or black and white daredevil. Then, sometimes swich to large Mepps. My Father, however, sticks with a gold/orange cheap daredevil imitation and does VERY well. If he doesn't have enough action on those he likes the 5 of Diamonds.

Yes to trolling a Doctor spoon.

I only buy quality, made in USA spoons. Eppinger makes great spoons, and it comes down to two things, pant quality and split rings. The split rings on wallmart cheapies, and other knock offs separate, and can even break. The other thing is eppinger and other good spoon makers add some sort of base coat that makes the paint last a lot longer. Cheap spoons generally just have the one layer of paint, and as soon as a pikes tooth chips it, it all falls off. Some of the best spoons makers off the top of my head are eppinger, rapala, jack penny (well the guy he gets them from), and Johnson.

Well, I feel good about the company you've included me in Shark. Thank you. I caught my first pike in the 50's on a red/white Dardevle and I catch big ones every year with them. I really like Eppinger "Troll Devles" too. They are a great casting spoon when conditions call for something a bit bigger. I've also caught a boatload on Johnson Silver (and gold) Minnows. As long as you keep a good hook hone handy, they do a great job.

However, Rapala spoons are not made in the USA to the best of my knowledge. For awhile it was Ireland, not sure about now.