• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

A few years ago, I got the mushroom-hunting bug. Last year wasn't very good for me, but I'm super excited to get out this year and see if "my" spots are still full of fungus.

When can I realistically expect to get out and start finding some mushrooms? I've been out on a few walks in the woods thus far this spring, and I haven't seen anything yet.

We have a long way to go. Still snow on the ground in a lot of areas. I would say at least three weeks and you might find a few small ones on the north slopes. Unless we get a lot of rain and unusually warm weather, four to five weeks for any numbers. We had 5' of frost this year. It will take a long time for the ground to thaw and warm up.

Last year I found my first gray morels for the season in Johnson County, Iowa (just south of Cedar Rapids) on March 29. That was almost four weeks ahead of normal, as I usually find my first morels down here around April 25.

Morels back in Fillmore County, MN are usually about a week and half to two weeks behind Johnson County, IA morels. In 2013 I was finding nice big yellows around Harmony, MN by April 22. Usually I find them there in the middle of May.

Never mind finding Iowa City morels by the end of March this year, which obviously didn't happen: looking at the current ten-day forecasts for the upper Midwest, I doubt if I will find any morels in Johnson County before May 1 this year. Tack on ten to fourteen days for southeast Minnesota, unless we get an un-predicted warmup in the next couple weeks.

I think we are going to have a big set back in the dates here in MN this year. I have found them on the week of May 8th the last two years but I'm not hoping for that date this year! frown