• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Need tires soon

I need to replace the tires on 04 F-150 soon. Where can a guy get a good deal on a set of 4. (can't believe the price of tires since the last set I bought. WOW!!!) What brand does everybody run. Lets hear the good and bad. Looking for an A/T not just a highway tire.

Thanks

2013 F150 with factory 20"s. Came with Pirelli Scorpian ATR's. I pulled them off with 500 miles on them as they were trash. I put on Michelin LTX A/T2's and there great. There a light a/t but they handle great and super quit. Supposed to wear like iron. They better for the price they cost!

I put on a set of Firestone destination A/T about 35000 ago. They ride nice but not unpressed on the ware off them or out on the lake I think they should go though snow better. I was expecting more for the price. they are on a 02 Sierra.

Dan

Discount Tire treated me right. I bought some BFGoodrich Rugged Terrains and Im happy. They could be a little better in the snow but they are not bad. Fairly quite on the highway and an aggressive tread for light off-road use.

btw: what size tires do you currently have? Im looking for a set of 17'' tires that hold air. Dont care if there isnt much tread left

-Craig

I know that I'm really happy with my Goodyear SRA's on my Dakota and to say there a highway tire is an overstatement, the tread on these tires is amazing. Actually new they were a deeper tread than most at's on the shelf. I know for a fact there a deeper tread than duelar at2's as my brother has them on his jeep.

Looks can be deceiving and these tires are beyond what I ever I thought they would handle. Great all around tire.

I had Falken Rocky Mountains on my 05 F150. Was really happy with the tire as they were about 100 bucks per tire cheaper than the others I wanted. They weren't real good on ice so I went back and had them siped. That turned them into a great winter tire.

I know that I'm really happy with my Goodyear SRA's on my Dakota and to say there a highway tire is an overstatement, the tread on these tires is amazing. Actually new they were a deeper tread than most at's on the shelf. I know for a fact there a deeper tread than duelar at2's as my brother has them on his jeep.

Looks can be deceiving and these tires are beyond what I ever I thought they would handle. Great all around tire.

Don't recall if those are the tires on the 2010 Ram I drive or if it's Goodyear HP on mine. They seem to ride OK, life isn't too bad (>50K and still more left), but they're just flat out bad (dangerous, actually) on ice and not much better on snow.

Anyway, I hope you don't have those same tires.

Dunno what kind of say I'll have in new tires since the truck is under fleet management for routine maintenance and repairs, but I'd like a set of Firestore Destination A/T or the Michelin A/T.

Well I would start by calling all the local tire dealers and seeing what deals/promotions they have along with the tire model. then compare prices of similar tires between companies. don't rule out dealerships. Our dealership has a 60 dollar rebate off select tires, and another 60 dollars off with the signing of a ford credit card.

Ford dealerships will beat anyone price. I would go with Michelins if you are going to keep the truck. Great wear and traction. Stay away from General, Hankook, and Pirelli. They either don't last or they need to be balanced a lot. 29 years at a Ford dealership fixing vibration that others couldn't. Michelins are they way to go.

I bought toyo open country at/2's before the winter and I am very impressed with the tires so far. They have pretty good traction all around from the snow and ice on the lake to rutted out muddy trails. I would buy them again when the time come that I need new tires. Better traction than bf goodrich all terrain t/a.

Have had good luck with BFG ATKO's and really bad luck with Bridgestone Ravo's E load.

The F250, F350, and Excursion all have Michelins and that's all I'll be running in the future, best tires you can get.

Go on the RV towing forums and you'll see more people running Michelins than any other tire...

Figure out which tires you want and get an "out the doors bid" from all the big tire dealers. Also include your local Ford dealer. I got most of my bids my sending them an email.

I did this for my last set of truck tires and the GMC dealership was over $100 cheaper than any of the national tire chains. I also included Costco and they couldn't touch the dealer pricing.

Do you want a Light Truck (LT) tire or a passenger (P) tire? You will typically get a tougher side wall and more agressive tread with the LT while you will get better mileage and longevity from the P.

LT - Like has been mentioned, BF Goodrich AT KO's. You could check Tire Rack or 4Wheel Parts to see what they have for prices.

Passenger tire, Michelins or Bridgestone Dueler AT's. Check Tire Rack then shop around.

There is a local tire shop that deals in used tires in the small town near me. I can get a set of 4 matching tires for $200.00. Check with junk yards and used tire dealers. They get them off wrecked vehicles, and some are like new. Just stop in and tell them what you are looking for and they will save them for you. Been running them on my vehicles for years with no problem.

My Silverado came with Bridgestone Dueler A/T and thought they were a great tire. They had 50K miles before I replaced them with Firestone Destination A/T. The traction and tire wear wasn't as good with the Firestones.

I'll second the recommendation of going to your local dealership.

By all means, IMO you should avoid Tires Plus. Nothing but a bunch of scam artists.

The cooper discover at 3s are rated best in consumer reports. I have them on the wifes truck and like them a lot.

I have those cooper discoverer's AT3's on my Tundra Crew Max and these tires have really impressed me. They worked great blazing new trails out on the ice this year. This last weekend I did some back roads scouting for some turkey hunting that had snow and soft mud. We were driving on minimum maintenance roads that were really steep and these tires did great climbing up those muddy hills.

They dont seem to rob the MPG that much either and are pretty quiet going down the highway.

MIchelin are great tires. had a set on 1 suburban and got 100,000 miles out of them. yes, they cost somewhat more but that type mileage is great for any 4x4. That mileage is also with rotating the tires evey 20,000 miles. I rotate them myself.

Another tire that is awesome is the Toyo brand. I would go with the LT tires also.

They will set you back some bucks but in the end, they will save you money.

I have run many of the cheaper priced tires and have gone back to the better ones.

Buddy of mine that sells tires says the price like oil, has been going up and up and up.

I put on some off brand Wild Country XTX (Multimile tires) and have been very happy, good traction, good mileage, and good looks. Had good luck and good offroad use with some Kumho's as well. Have not been impressed with some highway Bridgestone Duelers, or Goodrich AT's ($$$!!) that I have had in the past.

I bought toyo open country at/2's before the winter and I am very impressed with the tires so far. They have pretty good traction all around from the snow and ice on the lake to rutted out muddy trails. I would buy them again when the time come that I need new tires. Better traction than bf goodrich all terrain t/a.

Interesting. The BFG all terrains have been my favorite for a while. I will be curious to find out how the Toyo's wear. I'm willing to trade tread life for better traction and the BFG's have been a good compromise for me.