• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Any good Jambalaya recipes out there?

From a cookbook named 'Bake it like a Man'

JAMBALAYA

1/3 cup olive oil

3 lg. onions, chopped

3 celery ribs, chopped

2 green or red bell peppers, chopped

4 garlic cloves, minced

2 pound spicy, garlicky sausage, such as andouille or chorizo, sliced

6 boneless chicken breasts, cut into small pieces

3 bay leaves

1 T. salt

2 t. ground cayenne pepper (or to taste)

2 t. dried thyme

1/2 t. ground cloves

1/4 t. ground allspice

3 cups white rice

8 cups chicken stock

Chopped scallions

1. In a very large stew pot, heat the oil over medium heat and add the onions, celery, peppers, and garlic.

Cook until they soften and start to color, 5-10 minutes.

Add the sausage and chicken.

Cook for about 15 minutes over medium heat, stirring often, until the meat and vegetables are browned.

2. Stir in bay leaves, salt, cayenne, thyme, cloves, allspice, and rice.

Cook for another 10 minutes, stirring, until the rice grains begin to turn opaque and slightly browned.

3. Pour in the chicken stock and bring to a boil.

Reduce the heat, cover, and leave to simmer gently for 15 minutes.

Turn off the heat and let sit covered for another 10-15 minutes, until the rice is tender and has absorbed all the liquid.

4. Ladle into bowls and garnish with chopped scallions.

I make the Zatarain's stuff in the box, adding Andouille sausage and or shrimp. smile Maybe add a little extra diced onion and pepper etc.

Same here, but I use kielbasa, shrimp, and boneless chicken thighs. I also add a can of diced tomatoes, a cup of frozen corn and some dice jalapeños for good measure.

1 pound chicken thighs (Salt and peppared to taste)

1 teaspoon cayenne peppar

1 pound Ham

1 pound shrimp

1 tablespoon peanut oil

1 large white onion chopped

1 Green Peppar chopped

1 Cup Chopped Celery

3 Cloves Garlic

2 small can diced tomatoes

1/2 cup chopped green onions

5 cups chicken broth

2 cups white rice

Tobasco to taste (2-3 tablespoons)

In a large Dutch oven add 1 tablespoon peanut oil over medium heat. Add the ham chopped in small cubes and cook 5 minutes until browned. Remove to a bowl. Add chopped chicken and brown on all sides for about 5 minutes and then remove to bowl. Add onions, garlic, celery, and green pepper sprinkled with the Cayenene and saute for about 8 minutes until onions start to golden up. Add ham and chicken back to the pot. Cook covered on low for about 20 minutes stirring occasionally. Add chicken broth and liquid from canned tomatoes. Simmer for twenty minutes covered. Add the diced tomatoes, green onions, smash up the garlic cloves, add the tobasco, add rice and uncooked deveined shrimp and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and cook covered for about 20 minutes stirring occasionally until the liquid it absorbed and the rice is tender. IF you are using precooked shrimp don't throw them in until the last 10 minutes or so as they will get tough.

You can thrown your andoille sausage in in the beginning when you are cooking the Ham...but all Jambalaya has ham in it. Literally translated Jambalya mean Ham and Rice. If you don't like spice cut back the tobasco and cayenne quantity.

Mine is the same as Fins only I 1/2 the recipe and add tomatoes and corn. I then simmer the rice for 15 minutes then cover it and bake it @350 for 1/2 hour. I use a wok and baking seems to blend the ingredients better.