• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Trolling Motor Installation

working on getting my new (used) co pilot installed, can I just screw it on or should it be bolt/washer/nut method? if the latter, how does 1 person do it alone? and are using 4 of the 6 holes ok or do I need to make sure all 6 are used, this could be a problem with my bow, I think I can really only use 4 to get enuff clearance for deployment.

I'm guessing your talking about a bow mount trolling motor and your also talking about the base plate?

The bottom plate would be what you attach to your boat.

Yes 4 bolts would be fine.

full-26433-31794-t395_46ed18d415f42b5811

I'd use some loctite on your nuts or lock nuts.

http://www.hotspotoutdoors.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/2836729/2

Here's how mine is installed.

full-26433-31797-img_4121.jpg

Whether you use the mounting plate or not, you are going to want to bolt throw the holes with washers and lock nuts from below. There is a lot of strain on these things, and a lot of bouncing, and I would not trust screws to do the job long-term.

I used to use the mounting brackets but now I bolt direct to my boat and I don't miss the bracket at all .... in fact I'm glad I don't have it anymore.

4 holes is fine. Use thick rubber bushings if you need to level out the installation.

Hope that helps and good luck!

I also bolt mine directly to the boat. I used to have the quick release plate, but after a buddy had his stolen off his boat a few years back, I got rid of it. Much harder for them to zip out four nuts and bolts than cutting a single lock to take it off. my 2c.

I just bolted it directly to bow with 4 bolts, figured no reason to spend extra cash for mounting plate to do exact same thing, cant wait to try this co pilot out, should make my days easier and my kids experiences much more enjoyable so I can help/watch them more. thx for the advise & comments.