• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Baitcasting line

65# spiderwire has not been very good for me, although you will never break it and casts very far, it just seems to act "weird" sometimes. I have limited experience with baitcasters, but I've tried 20 pound braid, 65 pound braid, 10 pound mono, 30 pound mono, and 20 pound dacron. The dacron has by far been my favorite, it casted great and smooth, and seemed to have the benefits of braid. I'd be using it now if I had spools bigger than 50 yards of it.

For the life of me I haven't been able to find it lately and I'm not sure they still make it but Rapala made a "stretch braid" which has been my favorite braid that I have tried. The last time I spooled up on my main pike baitcaster was about three years ago and it still seems to be in relatively good shape and very castable. But it's at the end of it's life and I'd like to replace it. Does anyone know if they still make it?

I get weird stuff happening with PP as well. I get it making knots and I dont know it, till I cast and it catches. I reel in a total rats nest that makes no logical sense.

I think its overrated line.

For my big pike baitcaster, I use 65lb PowerPro with no issues. Pretty noisy going through the guides is my only real complaint. No issues with backlashes, in fact I finally like my baitcaster after trying out mono and Fireline previously. The power pro can also stop your boat like an anchor rope if you snag smile

I use Suffix 832 on all my rods. I fish for pike, bass and musky. I have all different strengths on the rods.

I have used PP and Spider wire over the years and like Suffix the best.

Yup, that's the stuff. Thanks SloughShark. I never shop online for fishing stuff because it takes the fun out of it. I like the "kid in a toy store" feel when I walk into Fleet Farm or Cabela's. May have to make an exception, I do like this line. I have heard good things about Suffix and haven't tried it yet. That might be my next purchase for at least a couple of reels.

I had a low profile reel with 20 pound Power Pro on it and the only thing I didn't like about it was the noise on the guides in a cast, and when it broke one of the smaller guide inserts while reeling in a muskie that took a bass lure. I later tried Fireline Fused original and loved it, but it cuts your fingers super easy if you are not careful when tying knots. Lately I went back to Power Pro and tried the Super Slick 8, I put 14 pound line on my new Abu Garcia Ambassadeur 5500 C3 and it casts like a dream! The slightly added bulk keeps from cutting fingers when tying it, and the smoothness and round profile lets it slide around itself more in a situation where other braids will catch and dig in to a backlash.

I'm a PowerPro guy, but in all honesty it has more to do with adjusting your reel's braking to match the lure weight and wind than anything else. The finest of lines won't do much if the spool puts out more line than the lure can take.