• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

tongue weight ?

mrpike1973

hi i have 2 boats putting a bathroom scale under the tongue jack wheel. one is 45# other is 80# is the 80# to heavy for a truck. the 80 is a little heavy for me to lift but i put the anchor in the back and that lighted it up 10#. i have the boat as far back as i dare the marine place told me a good rule of thumb is nothing from the farthest bunk or roller should be a foot beyond that. is the 80# ok for the boat and truck.

No, 80 pounds is not to heavy and it may even be to light. Try to get the tongue weight about 10% of the entire trailer/boat/motor/gear package.

To light of a tongue can cause the trailer to sway at highway speeds and cause the trailer to push the tow vehicle around.

No, 80 pounds is not to heavy and it may even be to light. Try to get the tongue weight about 10% of the entire trailer/boat/motor/gear package.

To light of a tongue can cause the trailer to sway at highway speeds and cause the trailer to push the tow vehicle around.

2X

It depends on the vehicle I think, and with most boats they are too light to matter all that much. For most towing I try for around 50-100 pounds. I have a 1994 ford explorer and I just go by feel, no need for a scale.

SloughShark,

You really need to be careful with a recommendation like that. If I had only 100# of trailer weight on my hitch I would be in deep doo-doo. You really need to take the total trailer weight into consideration in deciding what weight is needed on the hitch. If your vehicle can't handle the trailer weight then in maybe it's time for a new tow vehicle.

You must have a much larger boat than I do, because even if I put all my gear in the front I doubt I would get over 100# at the hitch. I'm simply saying with the 14'-16' boats most people have, are not going to have problems towing. 2c
But your giving advice for a boat that you don't know the length or weight. That's why people use the 10% rule of thumb. It accounts for variables